Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, November 10, 2008

You need this reminder

When I lived out east, my old Acura needed serious repair work, and luckily the dealership gave me one of their sweet rides as a free loaner for the weekend. They could have done this because they knew I had no other way to get to my weekend job, which required a jaunt by car on New Jersey's Garden State Parkway (unlike the 2 graphic design jobs I got to by subway in Manhattan during the week), but I'm pretty sure they did it because I made them uncomfortable with all of my pathetic tear-induced hyperventilating over the estimated cost of repairs and wondering how I'd also manage to pay my rent, even with 3 jobs.

I actually had to breathe into a paper bag because the hyperventilating wouldn't stop, which made me cry harder because I was embarrassed, and the cycle continued. In that moment I thought, "Gasping for air into a paper bag in the service center of a car dealership? This is no way to live. Must. Breathe."

As soon as I calmed down, they pulled around a brand new Acura Integra and handed me the keys. In that moment, I reminded myself that life is short and it was time to cheer myself up by doing something unexpected. There's no better way to cheer yourself up than by doing something unexpected while in possession of a hot car that somebody else owns.

After finding someone to cover my Saturday shift, I got up early for a 2-hour road trip from my apartment to Point Pleasant, NJ. I'd never seen such a foggy day "on the shore", and it felt like walking around on the set of a Hitchcock film.

Even though I decided to lose one day of pay (money that I really needed to make ends meet in those days), I will always think back to that morning on Point Pleasant Beach as one of the best decisions I ever made. It was exactly what I needed. Don't eke out your existence with the assumption that you can put a dollar value on recharging your soul. Get out there. Live so you can breathe.



This was one of the first images in my ongoing "Sit!" series. ©HouseofJules Photography



I was drawn to the contrast between the muted colors of the shower heads/sky and the dark, saturated sand. ©HouseofJules Photography



Detail shot. If you hold this photo up to your ear, you can hear the ocean. ©HouseofJules Photography



This was my last shot of the day. I noticed these 2 teenagers walking the beach together earlier, and as I was getting ready to snap the photo of the 2 showers with the fogged-out pier in the background, they sort of unknowingly ambled into my frame. I have no idea what they were looking at but they stood like that just long enough for me to get the shot. I know it looks like they're superimposed, but I have the negative to prove that they're not. Yes, a negative. As in film. Remember film? ©HouseofJules Photography

10 comments:

Taj said...

As a Jersey girl born & bred, I have to say you brought back memories. The only thing missing is the syringes.

I would move back to NY/NJ in a minute. Dirt, stank and all. Total compliments by the way.

Great photos Jules.

Spammon said...

Awesome photos. The close up on the shower is my favorite. I think because of anyplace I could take a shower, this would not be on my list. And I love pictures of places that creep me out. So yeah, this shower head creeps me out. And this is why I think it's freaking awesome.

AutoSysGene said...

Live so you can breathe...I'm so remembering that...

AutoSysGene said...

Oh and your pictures are beautiful!

Troop 542 said...

I'm remembering these very inspirational words if you ever try to back out of a future KW trip!

In all seriousness, AWESOME post!

Stacey said...

Wow. Just wow.

Troop 542 said...

CARPE DIEM!! Or, as I like to say, CARPE PETER! As in, Irish Peter....next October. Now that you've posted this there are NO EXCUSES!!! Yeah, baby....

Lakeland Jo said...

I really liked your quote about recharging your soul. It is so true. I am self employed and I need to remind myself of this every day- in fact I am taking this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon off to hang out with mum, go shopping, eat lunch and chill out. I am on a business trip and should be working off a packed diary- but life is too short. Hope you dont mind - I have used the quote on my blog and referred folks back to you. Hope is ok. Have a great day

House of Jules said...

@Taj: I momentarily forgot you were a Jersey Girl.... you'll be even prouder then, to know that on that particular day I didn't see one syringe on the beach.

@Spammon: You never did a PYP on creepy places to shower. Just a suggestion in case you decide to bring that back one day.

@Troop Jen: WOW, you must have really felt strongly to threaten using my own words against me when Key West planning comes around...and there was NO NEED to clarify which Peter you were suggesting I "carpe". Oh yes, carpe him all day and night long.... droooool.

@Stacey: Are you still reeling over Barry or what? ;)

@Lakeland Jo: Good for you! What's your blog address? Your profile link isn't working.

House of Jules said...

@Melissa: Glad I could give you a little something to remember, sista!