Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, November 24, 2008

One of these things is not like the other, both were amazing

Back in October, my girls & I saw "Tina Turner" (and plenty of other "female" stars) perform at the fabulous 801 Bourbon Bar & Cabaret in Key West, Florida. Fact: It's impossible to be cranky at at drag show. I write this not because I was cranky... I was on vacation in one of the most beautiful and fun places our country has to offer, so that would have been stupid. I'm just sayin' that every single person in the place was super-friendly and having a great time.








Then, the very night I came back from Key West, my sister picked me up at the airport and so we could go straight to see Tina Turner in concert here in Chicago. The day they went on sale, earlier in the year, I scored us 17th row seats and It. Was. Awesome. I made fast friends with Louis, who sat in front of us and took these photos (and many more that he was cool enough to share) of the entire show. If you're cranky in the 17th row of a Tina Turner concert, you need to get some professional help. The woman is in her 70's and still tearing the roof off the mothertrucker. Seriously, she is truly unbelievable to witness live. Our parents took us to see her back in the 80's and it made an impression on me that I still feel to this day. Her stage show back then was good, but the one on this tour, said to be her last, was like nothing I've ever seen. We were blown away!





11 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

And it was also impossible to be cranky in the 17th row of that concert!

House of Jules said...

Uh, yeah, that's what I said up there!

Melisa Wells said...

Uh, yeah, I knew that. hee hee

(I re-read it twice before commenting: are you sure you didn't put that part in later? ha ha J/K)

House of Jules said...

Riiiight, see that's what happens when you skim! BUSTED! HAHA.

Spammon said...

WHAT!?!? No Battle Dome?? No Master Blaster? No Mel Gibson?? What a letdown!

Please tell me she at least sang What's Love Got To Do With It. That's my favorite song of hers.

TSintheC said...

I think my next wig needs to be a Tina Turner model.

Jen said...

I just got done hugging my laptop and crying hysterically because I miss Gugi and all my "girls" so much! If only I could attend a drag show every day, then I'd never be cranky (and I'd be on stage a lot, as is my preference when attending the 801 Bourbon shows)!

House of Jules said...

@Spammon: YES, she did them all. There wasn't one song that I wanted to hear. It was one of the greatest stage shows EVER, and her Thunderdome act was insanity. You probably would have loved it, for real. Give YouTube a search, I know there are tons of videos from this concert tour. She had ninjas and hot backup dancers and all kinds of craziness!

@Hotfessional: Oooh yeah, I need to see that!

@Jen: Awwww, GUGI!!! "It was very poignant!" Damn, I miss KW. {tears}

House of Jules said...

@Spammon: I meant to say that there wasn't one song I wanted to hear THAT SHE DIDN'T PERFORM. Otherwise, it sounds like I was exposed to a show full of torturous singing!

Stacey said...

I'm so jealous that you get to have a life. At least I can live vicariously through your blog.

House of Jules said...

@Stacey: I'd say something about my envious nature regarding all those prostate exams you've been administering in med school, but yeah, I'll take Tina Turner over that particular job skill you're learning. ;)