Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, June 17, 2007

If merely singing the song counts, I've been on "Business Time" since last Tuesday--with no signs of stopping--even without the socks

In the tradition of Stephen Lynch, Zach Galifianakis, Demetri Martin and Tenacious D; I'd like to present the latest musical comedy act to steal my quirky humor-guy loving heart:

New Zealand's Flight of the The Conchords!


Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie, aka the folk-parody band Flight of the Conchords, hail from New Zealand and were named best alternative-comedy act at the 2005 U.S. Comedy Arts Festival. Now they're starring in an HBO series called, yes, Flight of the Conchords — which is about two transplanted New Zealanders living in New York City's Lower East side. It launches Sunday.


I saw them for the first time on Letterman last week:

"The Most Beautiful Girl"

Lookin' round the room,
I can tell that you are the most beautiful girl in the...room
In the whole wide room, yeah.
and when you're on the street, depending on the street
I bet you are definitely in the top three
good looking girls on the...street. Depending on the street.

When I saw you at my mate's place
I thought, "What is she doing at my mate's place?
How did Dave get a hottie like that to a party like his?
Good one Dave. Oooh, you're a legend, Dave"

I asked Dave if he was gonna make a move on you
He's not sure. I said, Dave do you mind if I do?
He says he doesn't mind, but I can tell he kinda minds
but I'm gonna do it anyway

I see you standing all alone by the stereo
I dim the lights down to very low. Here we go:

You're so beautiful, you could be a...waitress
or you could be an air hostess in the 60's
You're so beautiful you could be a...part-time model.
and then I seal the deal, I do my move
I do the robot

It's 12:02, just me & you
and 7 other dudes around you on the dance floor
I draw you near, let's get out of here.
Let's get in a cab, I'll buy you a kabab
and I can't believe that I'm sharing a kabab
with the most beautiful girl I have ever seen...
with a kabab

Why don't we leave, let's go to my house
so we can feel each other up on the couch
oh no, I don't mind taking it slow

Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
you're so beautiful
like some ceramics or something
you're so beautiful
like one of those girls I've definitely,
definitely been chatting to
in the chat rooms
WildSlutAngel22@yahoo hoo hooo
you're so beautiful
you could be a high-class prostitute, seriously

You're so beautiful
you could be a part-time model
well, you'd probably have to keep your normal job
part-time model, spending part of your time modeling
and part of your time next to me
and the rest of your time
you'd be doing your normal job


The following day they were on Fresh Air. I laughed throughout the entire interview, especially when they start talking about their musical influences: Barry White, Darryl Hall (but not Oates), and Prince. Personally, I also hear a lot of Bee Gees influence when they sing, but that's just me.

You can listen to their Fresh Air interview and live performances of "The Most Beautiful Girl", "I'm Not Crying" (best line: "These aren't tears of sadness because you're leaving me. I've just been cutting onions. I'm making a lasagna... for one. I'm not crying") and "What is Wrong with the World Today" (best line: "They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers, but what's the real cost cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper") by clicking here. I have no idea how they perform without cracking up. They are so absurdly hilarious, I will be shocked if you don't laugh out loud.

For more info on their new HBO show (which airs tonight!) and to watch the pilot episode, click here.

If like me, you can't get enough; here's their gem, "Business Time". After hearing this one, I actually had tears coming down my cheeks from laughing so hard.

"When it's with me you only need two minutes because I'm so intense. Two minutes in heaven is better than one minute in heaven. You tell me you want some more. Well, I'm not surprised, but I am quite sleepy."

On that note, I need to buy some business socks before Wednesday night, when "there's nothing good on TV and conditions are perfect".

No comments: