Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, June 25, 2007

Wooing original singer back into group could be as easy as substituting his last name in lyrics to classic, "Oh Sherrie"

This news story is a couple of weeks old, but continues to be relevant because everyone and your mother (yes, Chelsea Clinton, I'm talking to you) has been buzzing about Journey since the finale of The Sopranos.

Click here to read the story on classic band, Journey.

To that, I say: Don't Stop Believin', indeed!

If they actually get back together with Steve Perry for Journey's 30th Anniversary next year (the only reason I know THAT fun fact is because I heard it on the radio today!), you will never see someone try so hard to get good seats for a concert. Normally I'm a lover, not a fighter; but consider this a warning to all of your moms who will be attempting to get tickets faster than me. I will show no mercy and throw some elbows if I have to. Maybe even sweep their leg, Cobra Kai style.


If anyone gets in my way, they'll find out where Journey's "Open Arms" meet Cobra Kai's "Closed Fist".

Mind you, that output of energy will not be because I'm hot for Steve Perry and his tight jeans. It would just be a change of pace to have an updated mental image whenever I hear them randomly coming out of my speakers as an adult; instead of the same, old visceral reaction I have had since the days of Journey cassettes playing in the background as my high school boyfriend & I made out in his car, which he parked at the airport. You know, that place off to the side that faces the runway. I'm sure every airport has a designated area where people "watch the submarine races".


Because either you're there to actually see the planes take off and land (like Wayne & Garth, for instance)...Or. You're. Not.


Plane Spotting at Mitchell International Airport
The city of Milwaukee maintains a public park on the north side of the airfield. It is called "Airport Park", and it overlooks most of the field. The park is located north of Layton Avenue, one mile or so east of Howard Avenue. This park is especially ideal deal for viewing flights that land from the north. The aircraft are very low when viewed from this vantage point.


The above description was clearly written by someone over the age of 18. I never even knew there was an official name for the place, and I'm willing to bet that none of my high school friends did, either.

I mean, fond memories all; but as I said, a current frame of reference for Journey songs would be good. It might just cancel out the terrifying memory of the time a policeman used his nightstick to knock on the car window and threatened to call each of our fathers to report on his busting of our "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" (I am not making this up!), even though he failed in the attempt to stifle his laughter or hide the self-satisfaction he felt at his own play-on-song titles.

Then he told us we could keep "watching the planes take off" if we'd just turn down the music a bit so nobody else in the lot was bothered by it. Mind you, the entire place was full of cars with fogged-up windows. Nobody there was bothered by music of any kind, OR THE LANDING PLANES, FOR THAT MATTER.

No comments: