Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, December 5, 2008

And the award goes to...

I just wrote something in the comments at Suburban Bliss, and thought you'd get a better understanding of who I am in real life by reading it for yourself. So, I tweaked it a bit to make the following blog post out of it. Why didn't I think to do this kind of thing during NaBloPoMo? Sadly, there's more awkward interaction stories where this came from. Maybe it'll be a running theme, sharing my most uncomfortable moments. Feel free to share yours here in the comments.


There should be an award for awkward interactions, and I say that because I have earned a shelf-full of these as yet non-existent gold statues.

Like the time I was working as a consultant (freelance, but on-site) graphic designer and the project manager was HOT in that tall, athletic, handsome, and built to win Darwin's survival of the fittest kind of ways. You know, if you're into that. He was also really friendly, which made it even easier to spend many hours thinking of all the terribly inappropriate things that could happen between two people in an office situation. BAD ME!

One day the firm closed early because there was a major, shut-down-the-roadways snowstorm. I had only been at the design firm for 3 weeks of my 3 month stint, and just before everyone left, a bunch of us were looking out the huge picture window to see how the traffic was. The drool-worthy project manager was walking in the room as a few of us were walking out, and had his arms outstretched.

I failed to notice that he was doing some kind of stretching thing until the millisecond AFTER I went in for a big hug.

Luckily he was totally cool and busted my chops about it all the way out to the parking lot. After I pulled away in my car, I alternated between laughing and crying for the next 3 hours as I was stuck in traffic.

Good times.

12 comments:

Gene said...

At least you got to cuddle up close for a second or two.

Kristabella said...

That is fucking FANTASTIC!

One time at the 49ers, I came out of the copy room and turned the corner and was not paying a lick of attention. I proceeded to step on the CFO's foot and pin him in place as my momentum carried me forward.

I had to grab his shoulders and pull him towards me so he wouldn't fall over.

AWKWARD!

Kristen said...

I am so going to try this move anytime I see a guy stretching his arms at the bar. I don't get nearly enough hugs. No where near enough!

AutoSysGene said...

OMG, your post made me laugh out loud and then Kristin's comment pushed me right over the edge...

So your saying the next time Dr. Hottie stretches I shouldn't go in for the hug? ;)

Spammon said...

Now that is awesome!! You should have just planted a wet one on him just to top it all off. Why stop at a hug??

House of Jules said...

@Gene: Yes, you are absolutely right. I'll never forget how soft his sweater was against my so-red-it's-probably-on-fire cheek.

@Kristabella: That could've been a totally hot movie scene (especially the grabbing him by the shoulders part), if say you were in it with someone besides your company's CFO. (Unless he was hot, was he hot?!)

@Kristen: Oh, don't get me wrong, the first time was the hardest. I've done it 1,000 times since then, and it's always satisfying. The trick is acting embarrassed afterward, especially after doing it 3 times to the same person at the same bar.

@Melissa: No, I'm saying exactly the opposite. Always, always go for the hug. Unless Joe is there. Then, resist.

@Spammon: Trust me when I tell you I would've if I could've. The "problem" was that he was a lot taller than me.. 6'2" at least, a real football player's build, and I would've needed a step ladder to reach his mouth. I put the word problem in quotes because he was actually the perfect hugging height, thereby making the only problem being that I was even more attracted to him afterwards. Arg.

Clippy Mat said...

awww that's funny. but sad. i felt your pain.
but i bet he enjoyed it.
:-))

TSintheC said...

I would do that. No, seriously. I would. And my face would be 17 shades of red.

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Ouch, that was like watching "Leave it to Beaver", you know where you cringe in embarrasment in his place! I feel yo pain there!

As for sharing mine I did that last year… Embarrassing Quickies

Sauntering Soul said...

Oh holy crap I needed this laugh today. Thank you!

lindsey said...

Hahahaha. And I thought my waving back at the strangers who are really waving at someone behind me was bad... this is award worthy and totally awesome! I wish someone had captured it on video.

kevin said...

Hi--linked to your site from "fourfour". I can not stop laughing at this post. Actually, I just forwarded it to a friend, because it's something I can see either one of us doing.