Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

One Singular Sensation, every little step she takes


On our most-fun night in NYC. Well, that's not fair. They're all our most fun nights in NYC.



A Chorus Line

Happy Birthday to my sista, Missy! Here is a little photo post for you...

plane
Back in the day, otherwise known as the 70's. We feel the need, the need for speed!


You're such a good sport! Remember that time we were all on vacation and I volunteered you & Jim for that oceanic stage show-thing... and you had to put on stinky rubber outfits that a million people before you had already worn?

I didn't know what I was getting you guys into, but I was just glad that it wasn't me.


Then do you remember getting drenched in water that could have been carrying malaria or some other terrible illness? Wasn't that great?

Thanks for not killing me after this. The boys thought for sure I was Done. Over. Gone.



Let's forget all of that and remember the moments when you didn't have to get wet....

This is not so much our home away from home, it's our actual home. Ok, it's not, but why don't you make that your birthday wish, ok? I'd move back to NYC in a heartbeat...



Our favorite NYC early morning dinner. Let's not call it breakfast.



I wish we were still sitting at this table.


Here's proof of that night we sat in traffic for 3 hours to then wait in line for an hour to nearly not be let into the book store that was hosting David Sedaris and then to have to sit in another room from where he did the book reading, only listening to his voice over the P.A. system, while sitting on the floor in strangers laps (practically!) and then afterwards standing in line for no less than 4 hours to get our books signed? And when we finally got up to him, how he was out of the aspirin tablets he was offering people but we loved him just the same? And how you had by that time felt too exhausted to be starstruck, which was great because you didn't say 'I don't like cats' to him like you did the first time we met him? I wouldn't have done that with anyone but you.

Still in line before David's (we're on a first name basis) reading, little did we know just how much time we'd spend waiting that day, just to bow at the throne of Amy's brother


This has been a big year for you! With the release of your first book, you're now that published author you always dreamed to be. You're out there, defying gravity... and we're all so proud of you!

This is not to imply that you get around by broom.


Today for you, tomorrow for me! Well, not really that last part. But definitely, TODAY FOR YOU!

Rent!


You're the best sister ever. Happy, happy birthday! You really are One. Singular. Sensation!

10 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Thank you so much! That was fun!

I started to get teary as soon as the "Defying Gravity" clip started, just like I do everytime I see Wicked at that point! (God, what a great show!)

And THANKS? for posting the photo of me in front of the Chorus Line poster. On second thought, I'm glad you did. There were some other photos that were way worse.

And--poetic?--you ended with "Today for you, tomorrow for me" and I loved watching it again: but found myself thinking that maybe Benny and his wife could have used my book after losing their Akita, Evita... I was ROFLMAO!

I loved it! Thanks!

Melisa Wells said...

By the way, I had blanked out that water thing from my memory...ugh. That sucked! :)

Next time it's your turn.

House of Jules said...

You're so welcome! I could have posted the photo of you in front of the Mama Mia sign, and then titled this post "Can you hear the drums, Fernanado?" I don't think you would have enjoyed that quite as much!

Oh I'll never go down without a fight if volunteered for something involving STANDING WATER AT A THEME PARK AND USED RUBBER SUITS! You guys were suckers, but damn entertaining!

YAY for hot dogs and papaya smoothies... mmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Julie..you ROCK! :)

Love you kiddo..always!

Dad

House of Jules said...

Love you back, Dad! xoxo

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Looking for the hotdog reminded me of playing "Where's Waldo" with my son!

So what is the deal with the PT-109?

House of Jules said...

Hey Rob!
I am not going to even ask how you got from the hot dog to Where's Waldo. I mean, I am assuming that getting from point A (the hot dog) to point B (the dude with glasses & a striped shirt, hiding in innocuous places) involved something sick & twisted, but that's just based on your previous comments (which have made me laugh my ass off).

As for the PT-109, we were all on vacation and one day was spent at a certain theme park. At one movie-making demonstration, they asked for volunteers and I pointed out Melisa & Jim without them realizing it. Next thing you know they had to put on some really gross (and bad-smelling) rubber suits. Then they got water dumped all over them because their "ship" was under "attack".

I'm glad to say no hot dogs were harmed in the demonstration.

kat said...

What a great post. You're a great sister and I wish i had one that was just like you. Melisa is really lucky. Happy B-day Melisa.

House of Jules said...

Kat! Good to see your smilin' face again! Heading over to your blog now...

Goddess Findings said...

I MISS NEW YORK! Just stumbled on your blog, very cool- and amusing ! I LOVE Robert Plant and Alison Krauss new CD!