Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Abu Dhabi, Ubbi Dubbi... Ubbi Dubbi, Abu Dhabi.

It was impossible to get away from NPR's (and every other newstation's) coverage of the story on Abu Dhabi's multi-million dollar investment in Citigroup today.

I know, I know... it's a sign of the times; a seriously weighty disclosure and all of that. Nothing about it is funny.

Still, I couldn't help but giggle to myself every time the reporters said "Abu Dhabi", simply because it made me think of the Ubbi Dubbi pig greek language from the PBS show ZOOM way back in the day; as well as Letterman's famously unfunny "introduction" bit from his stint hosting the 1995 Academy Awards.

You'll have to watch both of these short videos to really get inside of my brain, thereby enjoying this post to the max:


Abu Dhabi, Ubbi Dubbi... Ubbi Dubbi, Abu Dhabi.



Oprah, Uma... Uma, Oprah. (starts at :27)

8 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Ahhh, ZOOM. Now THAT was good television. I loved that show! I even liked the second generation version they did about 10 years ago: they had new ubbi dubbi clips in it and everything.

AutoSysGene said...

Zoom, they have Zoom on Youtube? I'll have to show my dd some of that!!

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Abu Dhabi, OOOOOh Abu,
We gotta go now,
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Abu Dhabi, OOOOOh Abu,

She's a fine little girl
a-waiting for me ...

House of Jules said...

@Melisa/Melissa: Yup, they have ZOOM on youtube!

@ Rob: I know that one isn't "The Wall". Which tune is it? :)

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Crap! It was suppossed to be louie-louie, you know the theme song from Animal House?

Abu Dubai/Louie Lou-eye Get it? Huh? Huh? Ok, it was weak I can admit it. :(

House of Jules said...

Ahhh, ok. I can totally hear it in my head now. That's all I needed, just that small prompt pointing me in the right singing direction!

Taj said...

Ahh Zoom! Thank you for that clip! I completely aggravated everyone in my vicinity all day with ubbidubbiubbidubbi. It was fabulous!

House of Jules said...

Taj: Don't you mean "fabidubbulous?" Wait, that's not quite right, is it? I was never very good at Ubbi Dubbi-ing. Oh-bbi Well-bbi.