Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, September 21, 2008

No visible scars, but the emotional scars? Even worse than you can imagine.

I'm all for medical progress. So much, in fact, that I'm a House M.D. fanatic not only because Hugh Laurie's blue-eyed biting wit can hold my attention for an entire 8-hour show marathon (over the course of one weekend, but still), in addition to the weekly show, but also because I'm convinced that one day I'll be able to diagnose myself or someone else with a rare (or totally obvious) disease that none of the experts thought to check for.

I'm getting entertained AND educated, or something.

I made the mistake of saying (as a JOKE) "But, I'm a House junkie, too! I'm practically in med school!" to my friend J., in response to him questioning my superior knowledge of reality TV show cast members. Since then he gives me a hard time about it by calling after the show airs to ask, "So, how was class?", and then wants to know all about whatever horrible ailment Gregory House and his crack team diagnosed in a nice little package just before the credits roll.

Where was I? Ahh, yes. Medical progress. When I saw the headline in my feed reader of the news article below, my immediate reaction was nervous laughter. I thought, Go on! Click on it. It can't be that awful. Little did I know that in reading just the amount of story shown below, it would go from bad to worse to horrifying to actually dry heaving at the mental image.

I'm not about to tell you how to do something, but let me suggest that for at least a beat longer than you normally would, linger on the chilling headline alone. Let it settle into the recesses of your brain before moving on to the REST of the gag-inducing blurb:


That's as valid a concern as any, Mr. Pagliuca!

I know there are already procedures done through belly buttons, so no need to point that out. Somehow having an organ pulled from my torso out of my mouth seems a little more, I don't know, disgusting?! After posting this, I'm heading out for a little drive with my windows down, my sunroof open and some loud music to take my mind off of it. Again, medical progress=good. Mental imagery=bad.

Thanks for bringing this story to light and see you in my nightmares, Rob Stein!

Source

6 comments:

Astrogirl426 said...

Oh. My. God.

I'll take more pain, visible scars and longer recovery time, please!

Sometimes modern medicine just needs to stop.

xxxx said...

Oh, my gosh, SO DISGUSTING. I mean, seriously, UGHHH SO GROSS. I had my appendix taken out and the good, old-fashioned way worked just fine for me, thanks.

lindsey said...

What in the world... I wonder if you wake up after that surgery with a bad taste in your mouth. I bet you do.

Thanks for prompting me to write Ocean Minded about my flip flops. I did it... and they are sending me a new pair. :)

Spammon said...

The real question is if you are awake for it. And would you rather have it come out of your ass?

House of Jules said...

@Linds: OMG, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking! So happy for you about the flip flops. Hope the 2nd pair last longer than 9 hours.

@Spammon: If you read the full article (and I don't recommend it), there is actually what I deem to be an equally horrifying tale of surgery though a different orifice, and it didn't go well. PS- your ENS shipment is delayed, but for good reason

AutoSysGene said...

Ack! Seriously? What hole do you suppose they would go into to get to my elbow.

Shudder the thought...would they have you crap out your colon if you had cancer. This is wrong on so many levels!