Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, September 15, 2008

O is for Other, P is for People. The last P, well, it's not that simple. Really, it's not.

I recently went to Target, after having successfully avoided that store altogether for nearly 3 months. I can't go with a list and come out the other side with less than twice of what I intended to buy. It's awful, especially for a bargain shopper like me. I decided to switch up my usual M.O. of rushing through and instead, take my time. You know, no pressure shopping. La-tee-dah'ing around for however long I wanted. 

This worked to a degree, because I only bought one item that wasn't on my list, but the flip side was that I spent 2 whole hours in one store, which is madness. However, taking time to smell the proverbial roses allowed me to appreciate things I never would have seen when going through the store at my usual record-breaking speed.

The first one was in the school supply section. I love school supplies, and they were all on sale. I don't buy them anymore, but I still like going down that aisle. I think back to the days of buying a new Trapper Keeper and picking out my folders for it every year. Ahhhh.

Times have changed, though. Now there are 3-ring binders with nods toward inappropriate songs. I can just see the unsuspecting parent picking this up for their 6th grader:


This was nestled in between the Hello Kitty and Hannah Montana stuff, no joke.

There are many things wrong with this. I'll skip over the most obvious and go to next on my list: Why would you have a binder full of Other People's Paper? That doesn't make any sense, unless you're a teacher carrying this around, and if that's the case, than we've just upped the levels of wrong ten-fold. I wonder if Naughty By Nature is getting a cut of the profits, because if not, they have a case.



O.P.P., how can I explain it
I'll take you frame by frame it
To have y'all jumpin' shall we singin' it
O is for Other, P is for People scratchin' temple
The last P...well...that's not that simple
It's sorta like another way to call a cat a kitten
It's five little letters that are missin' here
You get on occassion at the other party
As a game 'n it seems I gotta start to explainin'
Bust it
You ever had a girl and met her on a nice hello
You get her name and number and then you feelin' real mellow
You get home, wait a day, she's what you wanna know about
Then you call up and it's her girlfriend or her cousin's house
It's not a front, F to the R to the O to the N to the T
It's just her boyfriend's at her house (Boy, that's what is scary)
It's OPP, time other people's what you get it
There's no room for relationship there's just room to hit it
How many brothers out there know just what I'm gettin' at
Who thinks it's wrong 'cos I'm splittin' and co-hittin' at
Well if you do, that's OPP and you're not down with it
But if you don't, here's your membership

Chorus:
You down with OPP (Yeah you know me) 3X
Who's down with OPP (Every last homie)

As for the ladies, OPP means something gifted
The first two letters are the same but the last is something different
It's the longest, loveliest, lean-- I call it the leanest
It's another five letter word rhymin' with cleanest and meanest
I won't get into that, I'll do it...ah...sorta properly
I say the last P...hmmm...stands for property
Now lady here comes a kiss, blow a kiss back to me, now tell me exactly

Have you ever known a brother who have another like a girl or wife
And you just had to stop and just 'cos he look just as nice
You looked at him, he looked at you and you knew right away
That he had someone but he was gonna be yours anyway
You couldn't be seen with him and honestly you didn't care
'Cos in a room behind a door no one but y'all are there
When y'all are finish, y'all can leave and only y'all would know
And then y'all could throw the skeleton bones right in the closet do'
Now don't be shocked 'cos if you're down I want your hands up high
Say OPP (OPP) I like to say with pride
Now when you do it, do it well and make sure that it counts
You're now down with a discount

Chorus:
You down with OPP (Yeah you know me) 3X
Who's down with OPP (Every last lady)

This girl ah tried to OPP me
I had a girl and she knew that matter-of-fact my girl was partner's that
Had a fall out, disagreement, yeah an argument
She tried to do me so we did it in my apartment, bust it
That wasn't the thing it must have been the way she hit the ceiling
'Cos after that she kept on coming back and catchin' feelings
I said, "Let's go my girl is coming so you gotta leave"
She said, "Oh no, I love you Treach" I said, "Now child please"
You gots to leave, come grab your coat, right now you gotta go
I said now look you to the stairs and to the stairwindow
This was a thing, a little thing, you shouldn't have put your heart
'Cos you know I was OPP, hell from the very start
Come on, come on, now let me tell you what it's all about
When you get down, you can't go 'round runnin' off at the mouth
That's rule number one in this OPP establishment
You keep your mouth shut and it won't get back to her or him
Exciting isn't it, a special kinda business
Many of you will catch the same sorta OPP is you with
Him or her for sure is going to admit it
When OPP comes-- skippy I'm with it


See? There's not one mention of paper in that song.

7 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

At the beginning he mentions "frame by frame it". Maybe the "it" that he's framing is paper?

The sad (but funny) thing is, I used to sing the chorus to the older boy when changing his diaper. But NEVER the other parts. :)

Sauntering Soul said...

Hot Brazilian came over to pick me up for a date a couple of months after we started seeing each other. When I opened the door he said "Hello pumpkin. I just saw your 'sorta like another way to call a cat a kitten' in your bedroom window when I drove up." Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I quickly assured him that he most certainly had not seen that in my bedroom window. He looked puzzled and said Bailey had been sitting in my window and wasn't she a 'sorta like another way to call a cat a kitten'. I told him that technically he could call her that but to please just call her a cat. He taught himself English by reading a dictionary and then tries to shorten things and use slang and sometimes it has somewhat humorous results. There's also a town just north of Atlanta named "Cumming, Ga." which has been an endless source of confusion for him.

I realize this has very little to do with your post but it reminded me of the incident.

Spammon said...

This was the first album I ever bought that had the Parental Advisory sticker on it. I hid it from my parents so they wouldn't find it. That was back in 1991. I guess O.P.P. is only a hot item when it's on clearance.

Maggie May said...

take me back why dontcha.

xxxx said...

I love that song ... AND bargains at Target! The best of all worlds, right there :)

Stacey said...

Yep. It's still funny. Maybe Disney got to them with their motto of incorporating adult humor that kids don't understand into items for children.

Andie said...

like you, I'm just .... well... I have no words.