Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Presenti: Il festival favoloso delle cinque pizze...

("Presenting: The Fab Five Pizza Fest!")
...or at least how to make one of the tastiest toppings ever!

I'm not going to start posting everything delicious I've ever put in my mouth on here, so no worries! However, there are some things I think everyone should know how to make (or at least get the chance to eat after someone else makes them!), and roasted tomatoes are one of those things. They're so easy that it would be sad if you look at the recipe and think you can't handle it.

Last week, my 13-year-old nephew J assisted me with making a ton of them since tomatoes are really cheap right now. We loaded up on 12 Roma tomatoes and 4 huge Heirloom (true, a little pricier, but they're so funky looking we couldn't resist. Also? Delicious!) tomatoes-- yellow, purple, green and red/green striped-- then headed back to the house and set up an assembly line.

While I washed & sliced the tomatoes, J covered 4 cookie sheets with foil and spread a very light layer of olive oil on top of the foil. Then he started laying out the tomatoes like a pro. After that, we lined the cookie sheets up in assembly line fashion. He started us rolling by sprinkling our pre-measured kosher salt over each tray:


Tomatoes, salted.


I followed behind him with the balsamic vinegar, pouring an equal amount over each tray:


Tomatoes salted and balsamic vinegar'd.


Then J went over each tray with cracked black pepper, and I finished everything off with a very light drizzle of olive oil.


Tomatoes salted, vinegar'd, peppered and oiled.



Roma & Heirloom tomato heaven!



Shot from the other end of the counter. Still Drool-worthy.


I previously posted the recipe (which I had to quadruple for the amount of tomatoes J and I roasted) HERE.

Like always, they came out after roasting deliciously sweet and tangy, with an unmistakable ZING! I used them for several different things that week, the main thing as a topping on homemade pizzas! This is what my roasted tomato, black olive, red onion, mushroom, fresh basil & turkey-pepperoni (spicier than regular pepperoni, you should try it!) pizza turned out like:


Our cousin Eric's famous dough recipe, as well as some organic tomato sauce & cheese helped to make this the Best Pizza Ever. For real.


You can read all about that & see more photos of our Fab Five Labor Day Pizza Fest (including what everyone else's pizzas looked like!) on my sister's blog by clicking HERE!


  It's a lot more fun, when making your own homemade pizzas, if you have everyone speak with Italian accents, and occasionally belt out lyrics from That's Amore! Itsa nice!


All photos taken by J, my trusty kitchen and camera sidekick... except the gratuitous pizza shot, taken by my sister (who is also trusty).

9 comments:

AutoSysGene said...

Definitely, drool worthy. YUM!

Melisa Wells said...

Yum. Good times. I love the photos too!

Spammon said...

You know, the only way I can eat a tomato is if it's cooked. I can't stand raw tomatoes (unless it's on a burger). Since I've never made a decent homemade pizza, so this actually may be worth a try. Do you have a recipe for a Giordano's Stuffed pizza?

lindsey said...

I lose my ability to listen to my body and stop eating if pizza is involved.

Stacey said...

I think I'm gaining weight just reading your blog lately.

House of Jules said...

@melissa: I hope someone invented gluten-free flour so you can make yourself some pizza. Seriously. Is there such a thing?

@Spammon: Sorry, no Giordano's recipe, our family recipe is better. Okay, maybe not... but that's like comparing apples and deep-dish pizza. You should definitely try the roasted tomatoes. You can roast them for however long you want (sensibly). I think I left ours in for about an hour. SO GOOD.

@Linds: I cannot express to you how much I understand that issue. It's terrible, but so true.

@Stacey: Nah, don't you know there aren't any calories in the recipes I make?

Charissa said...

MMMMmmmmm, MMMMM!!! That looks great, like it came right out of the food channel or something.

Charissa said...

BTW, the little tomato/basil design in the center rocks it. Did you think of pizza margarita at all while you were making it?

Sauntering Soul said...

Holy crap that looks good! I think I'll be roasting some tomatoes this weekend.