Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Avoidance and Denial; one of those ain't just a river in Egypt

Note to Readers: I don't know what's gotten into me but tonight I'm posting one of each of the 2 things I usually avoid writing about, and I'm posting them together even though it might seem in-bad-taste (and if you're surprised to find a post on my blog that is less than the highest of decorum, let me welcome you, new readers, because everyone else already knows where the bar is set around here!).
.......

There are 2 things on this blog that I usually avoid like the plague: online quizzes and famous-people-memorial-posts, and the reasons for avoidance are actually the same. If everyone has already written about it, reported on it, or talked about it, will readers still be interested in more of the same from another blog? I don't have a definitive answer to that because there are too many variables, but I'm a classic over-thinker, so the path my brain takes is this: If you have a couple of hours free, maybe you're looking to read up on all kinds of varying topics so that there will be something to talk to your ex-boyfriend about later over a dinner of re-heated yet lukewarm lasagna that really wasn't that tasty even when it was hot & fresh (the ex-boyfriend, not the lasagna); or on the flip side, if you have a full presentation for a client meeting due in 20 minutes and you still have at least 45 minutes of work to get done, you're definitely going to want to read up on the same topic repeatedly in an effort to avoid the panic that is about to blow up in your face like an atomic bomb. Or maybe that's just me.

Initially part of the allure of posting the results of a quiz I picked up from my sister's blog (who got it from Kat's blog) was to avoid writing a post on Heath Ledger's untimely passing, but I don't think that went very well since I just spent 40 minutes editing a very long post I wrote about him yesterday, so here is what remains for public consumption: My friend Shoni & I watched Heath's breakout film, Ten Things I Hate About You, a teen angst-y adaptation of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, countless times after she got it on DVD in '99; and though he purposely avoided (there it is again, the topic of the day!) doing any other movies in that specific genre afterwards, that initial role was all it took for us to sit up and take notice of him. The last film I saw him in was his Academy Award nominated role in Brokeback Mountain, a film so beautifully shot while simultaneously having the most brilliantly acted and utterly depressing storyline that it put me in a funk for weeks. While I didn't know him personally, I felt (and still feel) really disturbed when I heard the news, so R.I.P. Heath Ledger.
.......

...And now for something completely different. Here are the long-awaited, possibly too-hyped-up results from the online quiz, "What Donut Are You?". Honestly, I think this quiz should have just been called, "The WHO, ME? Quiz by Captain Obvious" because it is eerily accurate:


Nah, you think?!

You can take it yourself HERE, if for no other reason than you'll have something to talk about when you & your ex-boyfriend get together for dinner.

20 comments:

kat said...

I always love to get to know people and todays post was like inside scoop. Your criteria of what makes a great post and the way you debate with yourself well these are things that make your blog very enjoyable because it is so different.

The Donut Quiz did freak me out as well as it is an accurate mirror of my *freakin'* character. And you wonder how they determine it by only asking a few simple questions :)

Melisa Wells said...

Wow, with me being a plain glazed donut, I am not surprised at your results at all...different again!

And that last line in the description would be a great pickup line...

"Mmmmmm...you test the limits of human indulgence!"

Flea said...

Oh. My. Gosh. The donut quiz is so scary. I'm a Boston Creme ... mmmmm.

The Fruitcake Lady said...

Clearly the husband unit was wrong! We can never be friends as I am a Boston creme and you are a devil's food. Sigh, why must this blasted donut analogy caste system be so rigid? Chocolate devil's food (but with chocolate icing) is my favorite, btw!

AutoSysGene said...

I'm just gonna have to go and take that quiz! I was also sad to hear of Ledger's demise. I enjoyed Brokeback Mountain (as much as you can enjoy a seriously depressing story like that). Your the first person I've heard of mention the movie haunted you for weeks, me too.

Jen said...

Like THE FRUITCAKE LADY, I am a Boston Cream:

"You Are a Boston Creme Donut:

You have a tough exterior. No one wants to mess with you.
But on the inside, you're a total pushover and completely soft.
You're a traditionalist, and you don't change easily.
You're likely to eat the same doughnut every morning, and pout if it's sold out."

It's a little scarry that donuts can be so right and so delicious at the same time!

The Fruitcake Lady said...

Only the first two parts of it are right about me, the last two parts aren't really me though. Perhaps I should check my donut again.....ooh, that sounds like a "that's what she said!" Hee hee! OMG! I almost forgot- I was watching Dirty Jobs the other day (one of my favorite shows ever) and Mike said the absolute BEST line I've ever heard him say. You ready? Twas, "How could a guy like me pass up a big ol' dirty hole?" SPECTACULAR.

Spammon said...

Here's my two cents on your blog post:

Heath Ledger died - Whoopee. There were also 155,520 other people that died that same day that aren't getting that type of news coverage. The only thing I realized is that if I'm going to die, I don't want to be naked. (Naked rigamortis = not cool)

What Doughnut Am I - This quiz it a bunch of bull:

You're a Glazed Doughnut

Okay, you know that you're plain - and you're cool with that.
You prefer not to let anything distract from your sweetness.
Your appeal is understated yet universal. Everyone dig you.
And in a pinch, you'll probably get eaten.

I SPECIFICALLY said I prefer creame filled.

Idiots.

Sauntering Soul said...

I'm a glazed doughnut too. Seeing as how several other readers and quiz takers are glazed doughnuts as well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who had to read the grammatically incorrect sentence "everyone dig you". But it's true, I think everyone "dig" me.

Anonymous said...

Alas & alack! Woe is me!

While others select and choose...I just refuse!

I am not any donut, I just cannot take that role, yet...some people think of me as the donut.......hole! :)

(WAIT! Was that half a word??)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Jen said...

donuts...how gayelle!!

Jen said...

How many donuts can you fit in a Saco De Torro?

House of Jules said...

@Kat: I'll have to work on giving more inside scoop, I guess! ;) I think you have great "freakin" character!

@SisMis: You're so NOT a "plain glazed donut", like someone at your place wrote, you should definitely have tons of colorful sprinkles, and that's not only because as a child you liked eating crayons. I like that idea for the pickup line, my favorite one is the best line of all time though-- and I've only shared it with one other person. I'll have to tell you offline so it doesn't get out because, dude, it totally works.

@flea: I seem to be surrounded by Boston Cremes!!! WTF does that mean? There is not a key to figuring those results out!

@Fruitcakelady: The 2 of you are a matching pair, then! There is nothing stated in the rules that says it's a bad thing to intermix, so I'll meet you at the big glass of milk. I'm so glad that I'm your favorite donut! That's what she said is right! Did you read my "Dirty Jobs for one & all" post? It's in the sidebar under H.o.J.'s Greatest Hits. Stac"ey" and I read on his website awhile back that if you ever see him out at a bar, all you have to do is approach him and say, "I'm a dirty girl" and he'll be more than happy to buy you a drink. Not surprisingly, this tactic will work on any man (tried and proven!), not just the hotness that is Mike Rowe. Drool. I love him.

@Melissa: Glad you can relate. The only other person who *I* ever heard echo my sentiments on The Brokeback Blues™ is my friend Eric. We were both in the dumps, but at least we were in it together!

@Jen/AnastasiaBeaverhausen: If they just read all the donut descriptions out loud, that is definitely the one I would have picked for you. The only thing missing in there is something about the Boston Creme sometimes smelling a little bit like last night's beer, and being the donut most likely to hold your hair when you puke, while also laughing at you for being a lightweight. And I mean all of the above in the best, most loving way. FYI: I have yet to recover from last night's phone call. I know the clock is ticking on my Saco de Toro post so I'm getting to it right now... How gayelle are we? (rhetorical question, don't answer that)!

@Spammon: I can always count on you to not only make sure I'm where I should be in the "male crotches" standings on any given search engine, but for always giving your 2 cents, which I look forward to! I don't think you're a plain glazed either, but I think that you'd agree with the statement about your preference that nothing distracts from your.... sweetness? Wait, they had me nodding my head until that word. Anyway, the good news is that, "In a pinch, you'll probably get eaten." OUCH. That was painful. Everyone "dig" you, though.

@Sauntering: EVERYONE DIG YOU too, baby! EVERYONE! Especially Hot Brazilian, and you know I really think that nothing beats having a Hot Brazilian diggin' on you.

@Anonymous: Nice one! Two points for the rhyming, plus a bonus 10,000 points for using "Alas and alack" in the comments. You may have singlehandedly raised the reading level of this here blog. Way to go, donut..... hole.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Hmm, I'm afraid to take the donut quiz as it would likely tell me I'm one of those pretty pink strawbery frosted ones that lacks any sort of substance. just sayin.

Anonymous said...

First - are you Drew Carey now(in a giant martini glass)? 10,000 points? Sorry - watched Whose Line last night.
Second - I have blown the lid off the dumb donut quiz. It is SO wrong. I am supposedly a Boston Cream which we all know is a lie. They lost me at traditionalist and pout - so umm, No.
Third - My favorite Future Mr. Dr. Stacey/Mike Rowe line which came shortly after quoting poetry (so him!) "This is a very kinky hose. The kind you don't take home to Momma."

House of Jules said...

@CherryRide: According to the Anti-Boston Creme league around here, it seems like you could do a lot worse than a pink strawberry frosted donut! By the way, I'm newly addicted to your blog, which is helping me avoid doing the pink strawberry frosted dishes in my sink.

@Stacey: To you I say, GOOD DAY, SIR!! First you tell say that a burlesque queen & I are not one in the same, and now this...a Drew Carey comparison? Don't forget that I'm the one who could be responsible for bringing you and February's "Putting the Hump in Humpday" together. I have his number, you know. (That and a bear costume and I think we'll have ourselves a weddin' in which I get to give a filthy toast to the 2 of you!) As for the donut quiz and all of these Boston Creme results: is it possible user-error? Mine was so spot-on! Oh well, we can't all be our inner donut, you know. That Mike Rowe line is classic. They need to air another marathon very soon...

ALF said...

why is spammon so bitter?

Anonymous said...

I think employers should make prospective employees take the quiz, just to see if all are compatible donuts...

Taj said...

I know I should contribute something of at least minor interest to your comment box but I just can't get over Jen saying "how gayelle"! I totally want to put lol's across the screen but I'll refrain.

House of Jules said...

@Taj: That's because she & I always say, "That's so gay" (in a jokey-joke way... we both have more incredible friends who just-so-happen to prefer same-sex partners than we can count); and when I heard on the radio and then read on D-listed the other day about the whole "Gayelle" thing, I sent her a text message about it so she was sure to have the lingo down. Yes, you could totally hang out with us anytime you like; and when we add our other old friend and fellow commenting queen 'round these parts, Stac"ey... I mean, I just don't think the world is ready for the 4 of us to be together, in one place. It might be too much.