Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Define "Busy"

The list of reasons why I love my friends is as long as it is varied. The following email from my good friend Amy will illustrate one of the many reasons why I love her so much, and will perhaps tell you all you need to know about how we've remained friends for 17 years and counting*.

Yo, lady girl, I'm still waiting to hear if you had a chance to listen to that podcast and what you thought of it.

I know you're busy. Well, no, I don't know you're busy. I'm assuming you're busy, 'cause even I say I'm busy, when really I'm only just busy entertaining distractions and procrastinating. That's, then, not technically busy. It's just pretend busy. Not that you're pretending to be busy, maybe you'd even say you're not busy.

Boy, it's a lot of work having a one-sided conversation!

How are you?


Every line of that is from her, in one e-mail. I have kept it in my inbox, starred, just so every couple of months when I forget why I have it starred I can re-read it. Makes my day every time.



*Nobody's really counting. I mean, I counted but only just now, and merely for the purpose of accuracy/truth-telling.


*****

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It nice to have friends that are so dear to us.

Love
Grandma W

Amy said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been so "busy" that I didn't read this until now, nearly a week after you posted it. I can only think this was a trick, sort of like leaving a hair on the top of the cabinet door to know when your sneaky daughter helps herself to a piece of licorice. But different.

Time to distract myself before I raid the bag of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips instead of going to bed.

By the way, how are you?

You know, we'll soon be friends for longer than I've been alive.