Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, July 11, 2008

They're so big that AC/DC wrote a song about them


Double-click on either 'play' arrow if you have trouble with the video.

I really do have the biggest balls of them all. Grandé gonads. I'm talking, HUGE. Figuratively speaking, of course.

My sister & I had seats in the nosebleed section for George Michael's show at the United Center. Normally, nosebleed seats are okay with me because I think ANY seat is a good seat at a live show. Sure, sometimes I'll get carried away and go for the best available, but only when I feel like it would otherwise be a missed opportunity. Like the time we were at an on-site Ticketmaster location picking numbers out of a hat to determine our place in line for tickets to see Lenny Kravitz. I picked #1. As in, FIRST TO HAVE MY CHOICE OF ANY SEAT IN THE HOUSE. That is called luck. We decided that instead of buying the lawn seats, we'd go all in, just for kicks. 


That's how we ended up 6 rows from Lenny during the entire show with the exception of the 5 minutes he leaned his sinewy and half-naked body into the waiting arms of the crowd, and my outstretched hand was literally millimeters from his beautifully sculpted and tattooed bicep. I'm actually glad he wasn't closer, because had that been the case, you would now be reading about that one time my lawyer advised against using "What do you expect, I'm only human! Have you SEEN him?" as my defense in court for licking Lenny Kravitz's hot bod. 

Oooh, Lenny's hot and probably very tasty bod... I need a moment.

Where was I? Oh yes, nosebleed seats. We were in the car on our way to grab a bite before the concert. I had yet to tell my sister about some e-mails sent to strangers on my lunch break because I didn't know what the outcome would be. 

At 5:45 p.m., my phone rang. It was a number I didn't recognize, but I knew the area code, and took a deep breath before answering. A decision had been made and some information was exchanged; logistics, passwords, horoscopes, the secret handshake, a limerick.

By the time I hung up three things were evident: 1) I had no control over the fact that I was hearing myself scream about my sizeable balls, 2) my sister was VERY confused and wanted to know what was going on, and 3) We could look forward to being a mere 50 feet away from George now that we had insanely great $250 seats in the 4th row of section 122. For FREE.*

I would love to tell you every specific detail on how I got those tickets from someone I don't even know, but then I'd have to kill you. Just kidding, I wouldn't really have to kill you; but it is beside the point I'm trying to make here, which goes beyond "good" seats at concerts. What I'm trying to tell you is this:

Open your mouth and ask for what you want. This goes for run-of-the-mill AND outrageous things. I have lived by that rule since I was 19, and it has worked for me more times than I can count. 

Last year, after getting a direct e-mail from the author of a book, thanking me for a post I wrote about my excitement for the release date, I e-mailed back asking him to sign the book for me once it was out. He had plenty of other things do besides give into the whims of a stranger but enjoyed both my enthusiasm and a challenge since he was shuttling between countries and continents at the time. We figured out a plan and he somehow found the time to get to the post office in a city he doesn't even LIVE in on his last day there to pick up the book I'd shipped overnight specifically for the purpose of opening the box in the post office, signing the book, and immediately sending it back to me. It was all quite a thrilling adventure that wasn't without mishaps. You can read (and should!) the whole entertaining story on that HERE. We're still in contact, by the way... and the next time we're in the same country we're totally meeting for a drink. 

One more example: Want to know how I have a 4-day workweek with every Friday off? I asked for it. Had they said no, it wouldn't have been a deal-breaker, but I asked anyway and got it.

My sister said something on Wednesday night about me being lucky, but luck is when something falls unexpectedly into your lap, like being first in line to buy Lenny Kravitz tickets. Giving the credit to luck when you've clearly asked for something disregards not only the effort put forth in the initial asking of the question, but does even more of a disservice to the person who decidedly says yes. 

So, what are you waiting for? Get some big, figurative balls of your own and start asking for what you want from every facet of this life. Of YOUR life. It's yours to live and there are people out there who will be glad to conspire with you in ways you have yet to imagine. Ask for what you want from the people you know and especially the people you don't. One thing is certain: if you never ask, you'll NEVER get it. When the worst that can happen is that someone says, "no", you should always go for it. Come from a sincere place and ask for what you want. You'll be surprised at how many times people say yes!

Then, whenever possible, send thank-you notes. Being ballsy is something to be celebrated. Being ungrateful is not.


*To be clear, the $250 seats we got were not taken away from a child in the Make-a-Wish program, or anyone else for that matter.

--

As for those who are interested in how G.M. was live, I can only say that you better get your tickets while you can. He was incredible. I worried that maybe at this point in his career, he'd phone in the performance. He did no such thing. It was a tremendous show, and ranks among the top 5 favorite live performances of all time, and I've seen lots of live shows. He blew the doors off the joint, and I can only hope his idea of a farewell tour is the same as Cher's and The Rolling Stones'... that it goes on for decades, seemingly without end.



My camera phone seems to have a wide angle lens. We were closer than it appears from this shot. This is precisely when I had my heart attack.


Yes, I know camera phone photo quality can suck, but I can only blame myself for these blurry shots. It's as good as it gets when you're involuntarily jumping and singing and cheering and clapping.


You can't really see that he's standing in the shadows on stage, but the silhouette on screen proves it. So. Much. Awesome!


My desk on Thursday morning. My boss thought I'd like some creative inspiration to carry me through the day. I got the last laugh when I told him where we ended up sitting!



The seating chart my sister worked up to show you both our nosebleed and eventual AMAZING seats. Click image to enlarge and then click HERE to read her post on the night, complete with the set list and youtube videos.

18 comments:

lindsey said...

So funny that you should bring up the ballsy ACDC song. Just yesterday my parents 8 year old neighbor was singing it word for word while riding his razor... "I've got big balls, dirty big balls, and he's got big balls, and she's got big balls". First of all I wanted to present his mother an award for mother of the year and second I wanted to cover Porter's ears before he blurted "balls", he is so at the copycat age right now.

I'm not nearly as ballsy as I should be. You have just inspired me to ask for what I want.

kat said...

BIG BALLS. MAJORLY HUGE. So happy you and Melisa had a wonderful time.

Your post was a great inspiration too. I will take it to heart and next time will ask for what I want where I normally would just stay quiet. Thanks Jules.

Melisa Wells said...

Wheeee!
I Heart George Michael.
And I love your big balls.

Spammon said...

I dunno jules...having the biggest balls of them all doesn't really seem all it's cracked up to be.

On the other hand, I've realized that if you don't stand up or yourself, you'll just end up getting taken advantage of. Or picked on. Basically living a high school nightmare your entire life.

Troop 542 said...

Tenacious Ju....you and your saco de toro deserve a place in history! I just can't believe I have to go see High School Musicial with my daughter on Sunday instead of seeing George Michael and shaking my ass to Faith. My luck: he'll play "Monkey" in Dallas!

AutoSysGene said...

I'm glad y'all had a good time. I'm taking that ask for what you want thing to heart. I will be doing it next week...;)

As Cape Cod Turns said...

So glad that you and Melisa had so much fun Jules! There is something to be said for balls!

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

The whole "just ask" thing does seem to work so much better when your a good looking women but overall I am with ya! :)

Stacey said...

There are so many things running through my mind right now about big balls; yours, mine, certain others who shall remain nameless. It is kind of mind boggling what can happen when you ask. And the sleep deprivation? Sooooo worth it.

xxxx said...

LOVE IT! I am trying to get better at that, asking for what I want. The evolution of Swishy! Thank you for the reminder.

And I want to know if your recent Twitters have anything to do with balls ... in whatever form. Hah.

House of Jules said...

@Linds: The very first time I heard that song was in my 6th grade art class because our teacher let us bring records in... and believe me when I tell you that we ALL went home singing it. I'm sure our parents were not charmed by that. It's a fun song to sing regardless. Balls just rolls right off the tongue (that's what she said). Glad I inspired you!

@Kat: YAY, I have inspirational balls! My parents will be SO proud.

@SisMis: Everybody does...

@Spammon: I really should have known better than to click on your link. Seriously, EWWW. I am going to have nightmares.

@Troop Jen: My balls are even bigger than your Saco de Toro. Which is kind of scary. I hope the High School Musical kids decided to cover a George Michael hit so you could shake your ass!

@Melissa: Yes, please do! Can't wait to hear about it!

@Sue: Thanks! I agree with you... there are many, many things to say about balls.

@Rob: I know you're speaking in general terms, not necessarily this situation; and I'm gonna go ahead and be BALLSY by assuming you are including my sister & I in the "good looking women" category, so I will say that the person who upgraded our seats had no idea what we look like.

@Stacey: BALLS, BALLS, BALLS! Since I was with you for a good part of the weekend, I know every one of those things that are running through your mind. Every single ball. Oh yes, mind-boggling is about right. Even I was surprised at the questions being asked that were getting "yes" for the answer. All I gotta say is dedicating a my favorite song and then purring into a microphone before performing it on stage makes a hot man look even hotter. HEY-OHHHH. (I know that's your favorite thing). By the way, G'day, mate!

@Swishy: You already proved you know how to ask for what you want with your latest big life change, so just keep moving forward, doing what you do, sista! ...and YES, my observant friend, the recent Twitter tweets have EVERYTHING to do with balls. I'll leave you to decide which form.

xxxx said...

Aww ... you're awesome! :)

And HA HA HA, I am dying laughing. My guess is a little of both ;)

Sauntering Soul said...

Great advice Jules! I'm terrible when it comes to asking for what I want. I need to be more like you.

jovichiquita said...

Great story Jules! I couldn't agree more, you gotta ask for what you want!

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

"assuming you are including my sister & I in the "good looking women" category,"

If I did not think you were hot I would never have proposed to you even with an R2D2 in your pocket!

House of Jules said...

@Rob: HAHA!!!

Natalie said...

the last live concert i saw was a turkish elvis impersonator. and let me just tell you...it wasn't pretty. i have plans when i get back to america. big concert going plans.

dk said...

Somehow I missed this post!

My 8 year old grandson came tearing up the stairs one day last August singing Highway to Hell ... with 3 ACDC Cds in hand because he had found out that I had purchased 2 tickets to the ACDC concert here.

Please gramma - take me! To which I explained that before the last ACDC concert I went to 21 years ago his uncle Murray (my now 26 year old son) had asked exactly the same thing. I had promised his uncle that when ACDC camer back I would take him if he was big enough.
You could have knocked my 6'2" son over with a whisper when I told him I had floor tickets in front of the stage and only one section from the walkway in the center.

It was a TOTAL blast and I bought my grandson the world tour tshirt which he proundly wore to the first day of grade 2 on the condition that he NOT say hell, kill, or big balls.