Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Forget Patrick Dempsey. This guy wins the award for "Best Man of Honor" ever.

Patrick Dempsey is hot and everything, but why did he agree to star in what looks to be a remake of a Julia Roberts movie? I didn't actually see it, so technically I shouldn't say anything, but I will anyway.


Dear PD,
Accepting a role in this movie was a horrible idea. You shouldn't have stooped to this level of paycheck-collecting. Call me before deciding to do something this transparent, as I would have talked you out of it. Your first clue should have been that they didn't cast the perfection that is Rupert Everett as the star's trusted sidekick. Women (and probably even some men) love you too much to be fooled by the premise of this movie as being a fresh idea in filmmaking.

It's not just this movie, though. I haven't even watched the past 2 seasons of your TV show because of this marked change in you. Somewhere along the line you lost your career joie de vivre; after the good old days when you inspired sheep jaded teenagers to do the African Anteater Ritual all the way to when you played the rejected "Mr. Perfect" proposing to Reece Witherspoon in Tiffany's. Something in your career path changed after that, and it makes me sad.

Long live the Ronald Miller days,
Jules


On that note, the following video of the best wedding toast ever is the antidote to the poison Hollywood is trying to infect the world, and certain better-than-that actor's resumes with. You can't beat it, and frankly, I wish some of the weddings I've been a bridesmaid in or even just been to as a guest in support of my friends would have featured some sort of song & dance number. I love you, all of my married friends, and I blame myself for not sneaking around behind your backs to come up with this idea for your own wedding receptions.

This real-life "Man of Honor" came up with the idea to surprise his best friend, the bride. Somehow, even though so many people were involved in the subsequent performance, it was kept secret from her as is proven by her reaction to everyone's participation. You know she's something special if they got her father-in-law and brothers involved. After seeing this, I'm now liable to audibly "booooo" the next boring wedding toast I hear (my apologies in advance if this happens during a toast you're making).

Look out whichever-one-of-you-is-next-down-the-aisle. We may not have spent our summers in musical theater camp or done dinner theater together in college, but if I have anything to say about it, you might just be in for something like this:


The sign he holds up at the beginning says, "Well, here we go! The story of Amy... (cue music)". You must at least hang on long enough for the dance break, in which they manage to squeeze in nods to at least 4 Broadway classics.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need Rupert to pull of a toast like that.

KathyLikesPink said...

Wow. That brought tears to my eyes. Oh, to be loved like that! Makes me kinda regret the Justice of the Peace wedding of mine.

AutoSysGene said...

I'm also a little verklempt over here. I think everyone in the world should have a song like this sung to them at least once!

Can you even imagine?

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I loved "Can't Buy Me Love." PD used to have such potential. And now? Meh.

House of Jules said...

@Stacey: As soon as you announce your engagement to the Chief of ___________ (insert medical specialty), I will work on getting Rupert as my date to your wedding, and I know you know that I could totally pull that off. Of course I'll end up finding him making out with one of the groomsmen, but that's totally okay with me because to make up for that, he'll introduce me to Colin Firth, who will then dump his wife to marry me. Not that I have worked out a specific PLAN or anything...

@KathyLikesPink: It brought tears to my eyes, too!

@Melissa: Right? I agree 100%. This is exactly the reason I think that eulogies are wasted on the dead, and why I end up writing birthday posts to my friends & loved ones. People should KNOW how you feel about them while they're still around to appreciate it; and there's something so great about being about to show love in that way to the special people in your life! I love doing it in my own little way!

@CherryRide: You managed to say in 15 words what it took me to say in, oh, around 250. You ARE a private dancer. So, it's a House of Blues Gospel Brunch and then a viewing of "Can't Buy Me Love"?! ;)

Melisa Wells said...

That was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. I can't even imagine the work that went into that...and the perfect wedding gift for a musical actress (okay, or anyone)!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I want those people as my new best friends! Totally and completely ADORABLE! :)

Taj said...

I am so glad I'm alone. I'd never lived down the fact that I let a tear drop.

Seriously that guy is amazing. Those people are amazing. That woman must be amazing.

Totally beats the best mans "They just shagged like rabbits in the limo" toast at my wedding.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Taj actually pointed me in this direction, and watching the video just reinforced the fact that I'm a sap LOL. Yes, I cried.

Seriously though, the effort that they all put in for their friend's Wedding was just fantastic!

House of Jules said...

@MistaSista: I'll set something like this up when you & Mo renew those vows! (snicker)

@Christy: You'll have to arm wrestle me for them first! (Just kidding, we can share!)

@Taj: I know, right?!? Your wedding toast sounds pretty good to me, though. Or maybe it's the rabbit-like shagging that sounds good? Hmm...

@Dawn: I'm so glad that it has been confirmed you're a sap. Join the club!

Andie said...

that is AWESOME!

Troop 542 said...

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?videoId=96979&sMPlaylistID=

The couple in the above link obviously did NOT have as grand a wedding toast as AMY!

Erin said...

So I'm a day or two late but this is the best video i've ever seen. I love it!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Someone better effing do this at my funeral.