Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Meatloaf would do anything for money (but he won't do that). Oh wait, yes he will.

Disclaimer Caveat: Even though it was released in 1977, Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light is a classic for the ages. You cannot argue this point with me and win.

More than 30 years after it's release, Paradise by the Dashboard Light is still being played on every college campus in the country. It was certainly played at every party or bar I went to in college, and each time it came on, my friends and I were suddenly in our own musical. Everything-- beer pong, keg stands, a table full of people playing the card game affectionately known as A-hole, the guitar-playing dudes on the front steps--would stop, and we would all wholeheartedly sing along*. Even the burly, stoic guys who never sang joined in loudly; which makes sense if you go by the increased beer consumption=increased volume of sound equation. Afterwards, with no mention of the buzzed chorus we were all apparently members of, regular party activity would ramp-up again. Me? I was probably getting back to kicking ass at speed quarters.

Now that you understand the degree to which this particular song is ingrained in my college experience, you can understand why I received no less than 12 e-mails over the weekend from some of those friends in response to and concurrence with my horror at seeing this commercial:


Double-click on either 'play' arrow if you have trouble with the video

Part of my job is coming up with marketing ideas and advertising pitches, so I realize that I analyze commercials (and ok, lots of things) more than the average bear. I will start you off with these points to ponder:

1) They cast 80's pop singer Tiffany as the mom who can stock a garage refrigerator (with french bread?!) and then release a dove from her bare hands that she magically pulled out of thin air (after a prayer?!). The dove flies out of view never to be seen again, which is probably supposed to represent how quickly time passes, or something equally depressing. All I know is when I first saw that part of the commercial, I actually thought to myself, "This right here? THIS is what it sounds like when doves cry."

2) In a glorious display of a textbook mood swing, we find out that if Meatloaf gets "crazed", he'll angrily throw a fireball into a trash can. Then, he'll tell you he's going to buy you something.

3) The script calls for the teenager to grab nothing out of thin air TWICE and eat it. This thin-air thing must come from his mom's DNA. Maybe originally he was supposed to eat flying doves but they thought it would distract from the message, which ends up coming through regardless. The message is that Meatloaf needs cash and will seemingly do anything to get it.

4) Unless you're selling dynamite, having the featured product EXPLODE at the end of the commercial might not be the best thing to leave in the mind of the potential customer.

5) For me, the most disturbing part of this commercial is the song choice. If you don't already know or never thought about it before, Paradise by the Dashboard Light (like all Jim Steinman songs) is a massive and over-the-top saga of teenage sex in a car-turned-miserable marriage that goes like this (and because Tiffany's flying dove reminded me that time is fleeting, I opted to edit down the mass of information found on Wikipedia instead of typing up my own run-down):

Part one, Paradise Reminiscing their days as a high school couple, making out in the front seat of a car. "And now our bodies are oh so close and tight/It never felt so good it never felt so right..." As the song progresses it's clear that the boy has more on his mind. "Baby don't you hear my heart/You've got it drowning out the radio/I've been waiting so long for you to come along and have some fun/And I gotta let you know, no you're never gonna regret it/So open up your eyes I've got a big surprise, it'll feel all right/ I wanna make your motor run"

Part two, Let Me Sleep On It The girl refuses to go any further unless the boy promises that he will love her, marry her, and stay faithful. The boy is conflicted and says he'll tell her in the morning, which doesn't get him very far. "I couldn't take it any longer/ Lord, I was crazed / When the feeling came upon me like a tidal wave / Started swearing to my God/ And on my mother's grave/ That I would love you till the end of time / I swore I would love you till the end of time"

Part three, Praying For The End Of Time Things snap back to the present time. They are sticking to their vows, despite being miserable about it. "So now I'm praying for the end of time / To hurry up and arrive / 'cause if I got to spend another minute with you I don't think that I can really survive/ I'll never break my promise / Or forget my vow / But God only knows what I can do right now/ I'm praying for the end of time / It's all that I can do! / Praying for the end of time / So I can end my time with you!"


Now I ask you...will the debased version of this song sell phones to parents of teenagers? The same teenagers who after having borrowed the car, may just ignore that ringing phone as they participate in their own paradise by the dashboard "Go-Phone" light?

...

*I have the exact same kind of flashbacks when I hear Hootie & the Blowfish's Hold My Hand or Only Wanna Be With You. I realize to some of you that admission might blow my credibility on the topic of 'classics', but those WERE The Hootie Years, so I have no shame about that. Besides, I defy you to find a song with a sweetly-appropriate lyrical summation of college relationships that tops, "Maybe we can't change the world but I'm gonna love you the best that, the best that I can."

Well, besides this obvious choice!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't seen this commercial.

I agree, did the marketing people KNOW what this song was about? Clearly NOT and they are all probably 24 year old hipsters.

My friend LOVES this song, probably as much as you. She will make us listen to it at every party she ever has at her house.

Anonymous said...

When I lived in West-by-Gawd-Virginia, there was a "festival" on the riverfront every year. The Charleston Regatta. One year, Meatloaf was there.

My ex-husband's best friend and I did an AWESOME duet ... while the crowd around us just.stared.

I still crack up every time I think about it.

Melisa Wells said...

OMG, the ad was 3/4 of the way over when I suddenly squinted my eyes and got super-close to the monitor, screaming, "IS THAT TIFFANY?????? WTH?????"

I can't say anymore. I have to go and rest now.

AutoSysGene said...

Good gravy, looks like Meatloaf needed cash bad, sheesh!!

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I didn't think it was possible, but I think I like you more now after your Hootie admission.

Anonymous said...

OMG. I did exactly the same thing Missy did about Tiffany. I personally enjoy the tag "Entities that are dead to me." That cracked me up more than the commercial. Probably because the commercial is just sad.

moo said...

OMG, I totally had the same reaction when I saw this commercial ... and then, la la la, I totally pretended that I had NOT seen it, because OMG my eyes are bleeding, Meatloaf looks old and WTF is Tiffany doing with Meatloaf anyway, are they really married in real life NO NO NO.

And then my brain exploded and Doc had to hop in the DeLorean to go back and fix it all.

Troop 542 said...

LOVE the S&P video at the end. Obviously....

House of Jules said...

@KJ: Though I have all good memories of those days, I don't ever rock-out to Meatloaf NOW except at other people's parties, and your friend has good taste in party music!

@Ree: Is there a video of that somewhere? I need to see that.

@SistaMista: Right?! I can't blame Tiffany, though. She's apparently still touring, but probably needs the cash. Meatloaf, however, has GOT to be a millionaire and therefore has no excuse.

@Melissa: I love that you used "good gravy" and "Meatloaf" in the same sentence.

@CherryRide: You know it's all about mutual admiration. You liking me more now that I've admitted my love for Hootie makes me like you more--if, like you said, that was even possible. Beyond that, I can't imagine anything you'd admit that could make me like you EVEN more, except maybe if you had a brother you could set me up with.

@Stacey: Thanks for noticing my new "Entities that are dead to me" tag! I also added the "This is what it sounds like when doves cry" tag; both of which were inspired by this puke-fest of an advertising idea. Did you click on that last hotlink of "besides this obvious choice"? I ask because I know you'd totally appreciate that song, too.

@Moo: Any comment mentioning Doc & his DeLorean is alright by me! I tried to pretend I hadn't seen the commercial, but then they aired it again 20 minutes later and I was so disturbed I had to find it on YouTube and watch it 10 more times, which is how I picked up on all the details like Tiffany putting french bread into the refrigerator. This campaign is DUMB and also? DEAD TO ME.

House of Jules said...

@Troop542: I KNEW you'd love the S&P hotlink. We can totally relate, can't we? I mean, as something to aspire to, not necessarily because we DO it. Also, please copy & paste the tiny URL link in my latest twitter regarding Daisy and The Dark Crystal. I kept saying "Secret of Nimh" tonight, but was picturing gelfings in my head, which I haven't thought about since I was 9.

Jules said...

I thought I'd just come over to say hi. I came from Manic's. And why was I at Manic's. Well I went there to find out how to hawk/promote a new book. A totally cool book. A book I had just won!

Then I saw your name below mine in Manic's post- so off to say hi ('cause actually I've been reading your posts for a while now...... um..... but not commenting. I know bad, bad, bad. But I'm commenting now. :).

SO..... I was reading down your post and noticed this cool book promotion in the sidebar - Remembering Ruby.
The. Book. That. I. Had. Won!!!!! OMG!!!

U-huh! Small world.

The Other Jules

House of Jules said...

@"the NOT ME" Jules: I have been telling my sister (the AUTHOR of the book you just won... how funny!) that I was thinking of changing my "handle" from just Jules to House of Jules, because on some of the other blogs I frequent there are more than one of us... so there you have it, I have finally done it. Feel free to comment here anytime you want, and now it won't even be confusing!

Congrats on winning Remembering Ruby! It's a great book!

lindsey said...

I'm just going to be competely honest here... that commercial sucks, and so does Meatloaf. I can't stand him. I cracked up over his appearance in Fight Club though.

The only time I hear his music is when Spam is serenading me with it...

Hopefully we can still be friends, cause I like Hootie!

Spammon said...

It's true, I do serenade Linds often letting her know that I'd lie for her. And that's the truth!

I am now wondering if we will see the second phone commercial with Suzanne Vega and Dee Snyder. I'm imagining Dee Snyder opening his phone bill and starts out yelling how he isn't going to take it anymore. At the same time, his wife Suzanne Vega walks in telling us how she can't hear her neighbor Luca because the phone reception is so bad.

House of Jules said...

@Linds: The main thing I remember from Fight Club is when Brad opens his bedroom door, angry and naked. And sweaty. OH,and we can TOTALLY still be friends. You don't like Meatloaf but you DO like Hootie... so as Meatloaf himself would sing, one out of two ain't bad. Though technically it's not as good as 2 out of 3, but oh well.

@Spammon: Don't you just love a song that can be construed as some kind of code?! I do! I like your idea for the Dee Snyder/Suzanne Vega commercial but I kinda hope she'd be sitting in Tom's Diner doing that "duh duh duh-duh da-da-da-duh" thing while singing about Luca. Maybe the GoPhone people will stumble upon this and take notes. Perhaps the 3rd in this series could be Quiet Riot with C'mon Feel the Noise, along with Debbie Gibson singing Out of the Blue or some other kind of crap. These are just initial thoughts, not finely honed pitches, FYI.

ReckenRoll said...

I have only seen the short version of this commercial and had NO IDEA that was Tiffany. I am now more horrified and awed than before.

A-MAZ-ING.

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Ok, your opinion of things exploding is probably shaped by your gender. Clearly this ad was aimed at men so exploding is like out goal in life, it's what we live for so it really punches us in the subconscious. Nothing has hit men harder at the subconscious level since a teenaged Farrah Faucet sold shaving crème from a convertible! Yeah, I went there.

;)

Andie said...

jules, you're not the only one who has hootie flashbacks... :)

and I hear ya. there are some really STUPID commercials out there that I HATE. I could go on about it, but I won't. but bravo to you.

and I wonder whatever happened to sal t n pepa?

L said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw that commercial. I did a double take. I now have praying for the end of time in my head btw.

melly~ said...

is it french bread? i thought it was a leg of lamb or something. just added to the creep factor for me.
and now i'm praying for the end of this ad.