Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Oh, the irony!

One year ago today I wrote my first House of Jules post. I wanted to kick things off in a fitting way, so I thought about it for a few minutes before deciding to give a little nod in the direction of MTV and the first of their music video transmissions with help from The Buggles, Video Killed the Radio Star:


Remember when MTV played music videos? Well, that's where my first post title came from.

Music videos on MTV are a thing of the past, which is a tired complaint and one I won't add to because if those pesky videos hadn't eventually gotten out of the way, I would not have gotten sucked into Laguna Beach a few years ago, which led me to the even juicier show, The Hills.

Of course people have their equally tired complaints about The Hills, saying that it's not a REAL reality show (which isn't a valid complaint! If you want "all-reality all the time", you wouldn't be turning on your TV). These are the same adults who probably think that music videos should be live performances, which I figured out was NOT the case 55 seconds into this truly horrible video (during the first week of MTV's initial reign). I have a vivid memory of thinking, "Heyyyyyy, this isn't live! There's no way to hear her singing over that chugging engine." You have to cut me some slack about this because: 1) I was 8 years old, and 2) it was the dawn of music videos, these things weren't so embedded in our culture in 1981.

Anyway, back to my blog-iversary. The irony of a music video channel no longer playing music videos, which is now known for airing reality shows that aren't REAL, falls right in line with the irony that the traditional gift for a first anniversary is PAPER, and if there is something I haven't needed since I started writing in this public forum, paper would be it.



Did the "M"-shaped mystery meat freak anyone else out when these promos first aired or was it just the 8-year old me?


Seriously though, thanks for continuing to come back to the H.o.J., I'm happy you're here!

17 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Happy blog-iversary to my favorite sister!

And thanks for paving the blogway for me! :)

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Happy Anniversary!
When we finally meet, I will be sure to shower you with paper products.

Andie said...

Happy Blogoversary!

and I used to love those MTV commercials back in the day. I wish they would bring all of the old school stuff back. Or maybe have an MTV classic channel that played all of the music videos like back in the day.

moo said...

::throwing confetti::, which for sure will meet the paper requirement.

I so lament the loss of 24/7 music videos. I hate that you have to PAY for it on cable to get it (and they show the same 5 over and over again). I want my MTV (back)!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogoversary!

Spammon said...

First, I would love to take a vacation to L.A. and find Spencer Pratt and stomp his face into some very large sharp gravel. That guy is the definition of weenie.

Second, when they announced the channel MTV2, I thought to myself "Hey, they are going to bring back videos." But instead they made it to re-run re-runs of reality show re-runs.

kat said...

Happy Blogoversary to you Jules. I hope you will keep us entertained for many more years.

AutoSysGene said...

Happy Birthday, HoJ! Let's hope for many more years to come.

And yes, the meat freaked me out...I was 11..;)

lindsey said...

Congrats! A whole year!

I'm a Laguna Beach / Hills junkie too. Real or not. It doesn't matter. Don't you like it that the new season of the Hills has song titles and artist information in the top right hand corner, cause I know I do!

Sometimes they music play videos on HDNet...

lindsey said...

Did I say HDNet? Cause I really meant Music HD!

Anonymous said...

Granted I was late to your blog extravaganza, but like you said, better late than pregnant. Happy blog-iversary! You are my guru of pop culture, even if I can't quite bring myself to watch half of the shows you (for reasons that escape me)love.

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Ok, I will *really* date myself here!

I remember the big controvery when MTV was accussed of being racist because there were never any black entertainers on the channel.

MTV's response was, "Hey, we are a rock and roll station and there simply are not any black artists in rock 'n roll at this time." (of course this predates lenny kravits and Living Colour and was well after Hendriks).

Jen said...

Ahhh, I remember your first post like it was yesterday (or a year ago, whatever)!

Thank you for a wonderful year of humor (+23 years of friendship)and inspiration to start my own blog!

HOJ, you are the wind beneath my wings, the petal to my flowers, the catcher to my pitcher, the gas in my tank....you get the idea, right?

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Jules! Your blog makes my day sunny with smiles.

House of Jules said...

@MisSis: Thank yaw! Glad to pave the way for you!

@CherryRide: Well that's something ELSE to look forward to for when we finally meet then, isn't it? Frankly, I can't wait to get into your drunken poses book. THERE WILL COME A DAY, I JUST KNOW IT!

@Andie: YES! MTV Classic is a fantastic idea. They should do that. Even though it was a VH1 show, I would also love for them to bring back Pop-Up Video.

@Moo: LOVE confetti (genius 'paper' idea, BTW), as long as I don't have to vacuum it up later! Unless Rob lets me keep the Dyson for another week, that is. I swore at some point I'd use on the carpet. (OMG, you probably don't even know what I'm talking about. It's a joke...)

@Kris: Thanks so much!

@Spammon: I would LOVE to be there when that happens, so please let me know when it all goes down. Once you've nearly gotten the job done, allow me to flick him in the fake teeth, will you? If you get him good enough with the gravel, maybe the top of his mouth will swell up a little bit so it seems like he has an upper lip. You're doing him a favor now that I think about it. OH, and while you're doing that? I'll be skipping in a circle with glee.

@Kat: Thanks! You've been around since nearly the beginning!

@Melissa: I knew somebody would understand the freakish-ness of that M-shaped meat!

@Linds: Thanks, lady! I'm SO excited you guys watch LB/The Hills, too! I was JUST thinking that about the song listings on Monday night's episode! They finally decided to make it easy on those of us who in the past have gone crazy with lyric searches after hearing something we like!

@Stacey: As long as you say I'm your guru of pop culture, I'm going to totally ignore the back-handed compliment part where you act like the reasons I love hearing Bret Michaels say, "Awesome!" and "HEY-OHHH!" 100 times in each episode of Rock of Love escape you.

@Rob: I don't remember that controversy, but I'm not surprised because there's always a controversy brewing around new things. They played plenty of Prince a couple of years later, so it must have died down by then. AND WHAM!, lots of WHAM! (which has nothing to do with to controversy, but the thought of George Michael in short-shorts back when us girls were convinced we had a chance deserves some mentioning.

@Jen: Yesterday, a year ago... whatevs! Yeah, I was going to say that I've been supplying you with humor for way more than 1 year, but you righted that immediately with that post on your blog featuring some of my good qualities, and you didn't make any mention about the downside of knowing me; that I'm LATE for STUFF. I guess my dirty talk makes up for that (heh).

@Alex: That's so sweet...

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

I am definitely signing the petition to create MTV Classic. (Hopefully its not bad like New Coke.)

I was 2 when MTV first aired, but it must have left quite an impression on me! I remember watching a Rolling Stones video (I think it was for "Start Me Up") and thinking it was weird that a man was singing but wearing a shirt like a woman. The meat "MTV" freaked me out, too.

OH! And I want them to bring back Remote Control on MTV Classic!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! Belated and all!

I would hate MTV more for the lack of videos if it wasn't for The Real World, the Challenges, The Hills, Rob & Bog and so many others!