Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Comcastholes, Part 2: You can't touch this!

My Dad brought this story to my attention after he read this other post I wrote about my friend J.C.'s experience with her local cable service. Note to self: Buy a hammer, you'll need it after your cable service sees this post and retaliates.

Taking a Hammer to Comcast
Mona Shaw had heard and seen enough from Comcast, her local cable television provider. After repeated attempts to change her phone service, the 75-year-old Bristow resident with a heart condition took out her frustrations at the Manassas payment center. Shaw was arrested for disorderly conduct after she took a hammer to several items in the office - all the while saying, "Have I got your attention now?"

Shaw's problems began when she and her husband, Don, waited all day Aug. 13 for a Comcast worker to come to their house to install its much-publicized Triple Play service, which includes digital cable, digital voice and high-speed Internet service. The Shaws were Comcast customers already but wanted to upgrade. No one came Aug. 13 but two days later, a representative arrived. According to Shaw, the Comcast worker didn't finish the job, told her that he needed a third party to finish it and left his equipment there. Before leaving, the cable guy gave her the option of changing her phone number, but Shaw said she didn't want to change a number that she has had for 34 years.

The next day the Shaws couldn't receive calls but were eventually able to make calls. That Friday, Shaw spent the morning on the phone with Comcast and made a frustrating trip to its Manassas office that resulted in no assistance from a company manager, she said. When the Shaws returned home, they discovered they had no phone service at all.

The Shaws waited Monday for a call. Finally, around 4:30 p.m., Mona Shaw put a hammer in her purse and returned to the Manassas Comcast office. "I smashed a keyboard, knocked over a monitor ... and I went to hit the telephone," Mona said. "I figured, 'Hey my telephone is screwed up, so is yours.' " Shaw said she was panic-stricken the previous Friday when they came home to no service because of her need in the past for emergency medical help.

The day after her arrest, Comcast called her husband and said they could switch her to the Triple Play service but the couple would have to wait a week. He demanded that the company come out the next day and remove their equipment and told the company they were returning to Verizon for phone service. Comcast did as her husband requested, but several weeks later the Shaws received a letter from the company thanking them for subscribing. That was typical Comcast, Shaw said.



I wonder if, like MC Hammer, Mona is dope on the floor and magic on the mic?


Read the full article, and check out a photo of Mona "The Hammer" Shaw by clicking HERE, or read what made my Dad think to send me Mona's story by clicking HERE.

9 comments:

AutoSysGene said...

See now Mona is a much better person than I am. If I had gone into the Comcrap offices with a hammer, it wouldn't have been phones or monitors I would have been hitting.

Me, violent? Only when I have to deal with Comcrap...

Melissa said...

I have heard that about Comcast. I think ALL cable companies SUCK. Ahem.

Taj said...

I think I love Mona.

I'm with Melissa #2, all cable companies suck. To reiterate a previous statement: BrightHouse can choke on a cable wire.

And if Big Brother does read blog posts...you can't touch this.

Melisa Wells said...

SO glad you put this up. It was definitely my biggest laugh of the day, getting that e-mail from Dad...er, I mean, "anonymous".

By the way, LOVING the Hammer video. Good times.

Melisa Wells said...

BTW, how many more Melisa/Melissa's are going to comment?

Ladies? Anyone else? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?

House of Jules said...

It's a Melis(s)a-palooza in here! WOW.

Taj: You know you just bought yourself MORE random power outages! Better get out your Hammer pants and start practicing the running man before the lights go down.

kat said...

OMG what a laugh. Ok not for Mona but she has all our sympathy.

Spammon said...

Here's a quick run-down on my comcastic experience. I was with AT&T internet about 10 years ago. The service never worked, they didnt make me pay for the service and removed the equipment. AT&T got purchased by Covad, then Covad got purchased by Comcast after that. 2 years ago I opted switched to Comcast to get the MTN channel. They told me I had an outstanding balance of $350 from service that was never paid for. But they had no details because all the paperwork was lost after the purchase of other companies. They would NOT let me sign up unless I paid a fee that they couldnt trace that wasnt even with their company. Yes, they are complete crooks there.

Anonymous said...

I work for a major competitor of Comcast... and the customers are really that insane.