Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Miracle for Eddie (and lots of other people, too!)


Eddie and Brad at Tosa fest, in front of the Wauwatosa Firefighters Dunk Tank, raising money for the Carol Ann Foundation. Firefighters in wet t-shirts? Why wasn't I notified of this?


Because any friends of Sue & Todd's are friends of mine, and because they don't get much friendlier than their good friends and neighbors Brad and Jeni, but MOSTLY because they don't get more adorable than Brad & Jeni's 3-year-old son Eddie... I donated the below framed photograph to their silent auction to raise funding for Morquio Type A.


"Shadow of the Palm" photo taken (by me) in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. It can be yours...

Eddie was diagnosed with Morquio Type A after being born a happy & healthy baby. Morquio Type A is an extremely rare disease--only 350 people have been diagnosed with it--and as a result, there is no governmental funding for research. The "A Miracle For Eddie" fundraiser will take place this Sunday, September 16th, 2007 from 11:00a.m.-7:00p.m. at the American Legion Post located at 9159 W. Beloit Rd. in West Allis, WI. There will be food, beverages, a silent auction, and games of chance.

When I was told about the fundraiser, I assumed that the money would help with Eddie's astronomical medical/surgery bills, which in itself is a great cause worth supporting, and one I would gladly get behind, but as you'll see, that is not the case:

What is extraordinary about Brad & Jeni, and truly indicative of the kind of people they are, is that all proceeds and donations from this fundraiser that they've put all their own energy and time into, will go directly to the research towards treatment of the disease, which helps everyone afflicted with Morquio Type A, not just their son. I admire them so much for that because they're doing it for the greater good.

Seeing people do something for the greater good is inspiring, and so is doing something small to help out friends of friends who are doing something for the greater good! I highly recommend it. If you want to help me help friends of friends do something for the greater good (!), you can attend and join in on the silent auction, or you can donate directly to the foundation. E-mail me for info on how to do that.

I think I'm Eddie's biggest fan. I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone thinks that, though. You'll probably join our ranks when you read more of his story on his own site by clicking here.

No comments: