Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, September 17, 2007

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes...you're under.

I'm a huge fan of quirky british humor (Ricky Gervais or Stephen Merchant , marry me?), and I recently finished watching the first season of BBC's Little Britain, which, if you don't already know of it, is a character driven sketch show. The 2 creators, Matt Lucas and David Walliams play all the main/recurring characters--no matter the age or sex--with the help of costume and make-up.


To describe it as "quirky humor" is an understatement. Since I think the quirkier, the better, I'm happy to report that I loved it.

It became unexpectedly biographical after I enjoyed several sketches featuring one of my favorite characters on the show, "Stage Hypnotist Kenny Craig". His personality reminded me of someone but I couldn't put my finger on it until a few days later when I was telling a friend about the show.

Finally, it hit me. For a short while, I dated a guy JUST LIKE HIM, except he was less a hypnotist and more a determined manipulist (I think I just made that word up, but you know the kind of person I'm talking about). I wouldn't have put anything past him in his quest to get his own way 100% of the time. He was very good at walking that thin line between being maddeningly conniving and maddeningly charming-- which in the end turns out to be one in the same: totally maddening.

With the exception of the fact that I would never order lobster or champagne on a date, this is frighteningly close to what it was like when we went out:



A more accurate version of my time spent with the real life Kenny Craig-like person would have gone like this:

"Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes... (snaps fingers) ...you're under! Proving that I'm eternally consumed with myself, and therefore have no idea what qualities you look for in a man; instead focusing on my own locker room hang-ups, after tonight you will tell your friends how incredibly capable I am, and that I'm practically super-human. Specifically, you will ensure they think that it was THIS. BIG. You will hold up your hands like such, indicating something huge and impressive--because I'm projecting onto you the only thing I think women deem as important--which insinuates that you are a shallow person and proves that I am an idiot. You will absolutely NOT mention my deep-seated insecurities, which are glaringly obvious in the way that I try, unsuccessfully, to manipulate you. 3-2-1, you're back in the room!"

I think Kenny Craig is even funnier now that I have realized who he reminds me of, but maybe it's because I was looking into his eyes, looking into his eyes, his eyes, his eyes, not around his eyes, not looking around the eyes, but looking into his eyes.

***

In case you're at work and can't actually watch the above YouTube clip (though I highly recommend it--I think it's WAY funnier with the tone and english accent), here is the transcript:


Announcer: Stage Hypnotist, Kenny Craig, is on a date.

Kenny Craig, Stage Hypnotist: I usually just have a starter and find that's enough.

Date: It's nice here. It's funny, I don't remember saying I'd go on a date with you. I don't know what to have, it all looks so nice.

Kenny Craig, Stage Hypnotist: The set menu is very reasonable.

Date: OH! They do baked lobster. I've never had lobster before. I'll have that.

Kenny Craig, Stage Hypnotist: (rolls eyes, annoyed) Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes... (snaps fingers) ...you're under! In a moment, the waiter will appear and when he does, you will order from the set menu; 3 courses, $8.95. You will NOT order the lobster. 3-2-1, you're back in the room!

Date: OH! There's lots of things I like on the set menu. You don't mind ordering from the set menu, do you?

Kenny Craig, Stage Hypnotist: Hey, whatever you want, you know. That's fine. Do you know what you want to drink yet?

Date: Seeing as it's a special occasion, it'd be lovely to have a bottle of bubbly.

Kenny Craig, Stage Hypnotist: (annoyed again) Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes... (snaps fingers) ...you're under! You will choose a soft drink, you will NOT, repeat NOT order champagne. I know it's our first date and I don't even fancy you that much, and I really resent you bleeding me dry here. 3-2-1, you're back in the room!

Waiter: Are you ready to order, madam?

Date: Yes, I'll order from the set menu, please. I'll have the spring roll and chicken chow mein.

Waiter: And, to drink?

Date: Just a glass of water.

Kenny Craig, Stage Hypnotist: Tap water!

Waiter: And, for sir?

Kenny Craig, Stage Hypnotist: I'm not really hungry. I'll just have the lobster and a bottle of champagne. (!!!)




***

Other quirky shows I enjoy:
Extras
psyche
Strangers with Candy
Nighty Night
Campus Ladies

No comments: