Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's probably better that I haven't done this

The fam & I spent a good part of Saturday at my older nephew's Lacrosse tournament. He plays for The Warriors and at every match I say, I didn't bring bottles to clank together but... Warriors, come out to play-ee-aye!".

Unfortunately, nobody else gets that 80's movie reference, and that makes me shed a little tear. I even put it up on Twitter, and someone (who will remain anonymous unless he outs himself in the comments) guessed that I was referring to a scene in the Disney movie Pollyanna, which was such a hilariously awesome guess because of it's polar opposite themes that I'm still laughing to myself about it. Sadly, he came the closest when it came to throwing out guesses.

The Warriors is a terrible classic. Terrible. But, like I said, classic.

The lacrosse season ended on Saturday, but since I'm posting the actual scene from the movie I have high hopes that someone will bring three bottles for my clanking purposes to the first match this coming spring!


I'm much cuter than this creep when I reenact this scene, trust me.


Some of you may recognize the head Warrior as the main character from Xanadu!

5 comments:

Spammon said...

Fine. It was me. And only because I have never seen this masterpiece of a movie that you have shown us. I found a clip of Pollyanna and since I haven't seen the movie since I was about that same age as that little turd yelling out the window, you will see why I thought this. Just move to the 6:45 mark, unless you want to see the little monkey climbing up the tree with her doll. Seriously, who climbs a tree with a dress and Sunday shoes, with a doll in tow?

One last note, is The Warriors a remake of West Side Story meets the cast from Mad Max?

Melisa Wells said...

Yes, you ARE way cuter when you say it. I am happy to report that although I always laughed when you did that impression but never got the reference, it wasn't like it normally is, where I have just forgotten something from my past. I am 110% positive that I never saw any part of this movie, including this clip, ever. In my life.

By the end, I was sort of hoping Gene Kelly and Olivia Newton-John as Kira would pop out from somewhere to sing "Whenever you're away from me".

BTW, Spammon: I LOVE Pollyanna (this information won't surprise my sister in the least). I can totally see how you might have thought that Warriors thing was from that movie. :)

House of Jules said...

@Spammon: I just *knew* you'd find a clip of Pollyanna for us to enjoy...and I laughed SO HARD! I agree with you completely, leave out "warriors" and it may as well be the exact same scene! Seriously though, I get what you're saying and understand why your thoughts went there. So funny! I haven't seen that movie since I was a little kid, and since it's from 1960 I don't even know how I saw it. Must've been on The Disney Channel or something. I blocked most of it out though, b/c UGH, Pollyanna!

Out of anyone, I am amazed you have never seen The Warriors. The Gangs in NYC try to come together and take over the city since collectively they have more numbers than the cops. Your description is pretty accurate, though. I might have to add it to my Netflix queue just to watch it again in all it's terrible glory. Here's the wiki page, though it doesn't do the movie justice: The Warriors

@SisMis: Saying you 100% never saw it would've been believable, but that extra 10% drives it home! Glad you've at least seen that part, so now you'll have a full understanding of how clever I am at the next LAX match.... and yes, of course you love Pollyanna! :)

Troop 542 said...

Um, you totally left out the "black, white & red all over" story!

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

OMG! I shudder to think what kind of people you hang out with that would not get that reference! Scary!

I mean John Wayne is way before *my* time but when someone makes a reference to the John Wayne toilet paper at work I *get* it. Sheesh.



(for the ill-educated among you- John's Wayne toilet paper is rough and tough and don't take shit off of nobody! Thank you, this concludes Rob's high brow moment of the day)