Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, April 27, 2007

"A Place Where Nobody Dared to Go", at least until now

{Disclaimer: My sister Missy will probably be the only person as fired up about this as I am.}

I am shocked by this news. I wonder if they considered the impossibility of improving upon perfection. I consider it the mockery of a classic, and seriously question if the Broadway production should have been green-lighted.

Seeing the original movie at 7 years old had a major impact on my life.
1) I knew after watching Sonny Malone (Michael Beck, also known for his role in Warriors. Remember that movie? 'Warriors, come out to play-ee-aye!') get paid to paint huge versions of record covers for music store displays, that I wanted to do something like that when I got older.


2) I realized after watching Danny McGuire (Gene Kelly. GENE KELLY WAS IN THIS MOVIE!) play the clarinet in a big band that I wanted to do the same. I can still perform a mean "When the Saints Go Marching In" on my Vito, even though the only time in the past 17 years that I've bothered to pull it out of the case was to show my nephew 2 years ago.

3) Most importantly, I wanted to be outlined in neon all of the time.


Two out of 3 ain't bad, right?

In all seriousness, I actually bought the soundtrack through iTunes last year. The grandfather of all mashups--and the sexiest Tubes song ever--still holds up, even after 27 years!

(I recommend advancing below vid to -2:59, when The Tubes do their thing)

(Think they're talking about something other than dancing?)

Well Broadway, you've pulled off miracles before. I'll be reading the reviews, and hoping that you don't mess this up:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD. I think a NYC trip must be in order? We're going to have to have a bake sale!!! (Or maybe I should just apply for the Understudy position? No...wait. I want to be that "danc-y" muse, the one who was always featured up close to Olivia. She was awesome.)

I DON'T think I'll be able to sleep tonight...

Love, Sister Missy

House of Jules said...

It's so scary that I know exactly who you're describing as the "danc-y" muse.

I want to be Kira/Olivia, mostly because of this outfit and song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsH4b0DQbsk

We're shoe-ins since we already know all of the words.