Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, August 24, 2007

I'm famous, but without the 2-hour stint in a women's correctional facility or rehab, also without the trust fund

Ooooh, okay... so I'm not famous at all.

Today (Friday) is a big day because it's the last weekday of summer vacation before D&J--my hilarious and charming nephews--have to go back to school. To send summer off with a bang, Missy & I are taking them to a couple of old school Chicago classics: Superdawg and Original Rainbow Cone. Both places are out of the way, and also far apart-- but the last Friday of summer is a big deal, so we're going to go have a blast despite the heat, the rain and the traffic.

Missy asked me a few days ago if I had any suggestions of places to go in between the dogs and before the cones, and I spent a good hour doing searches on several chicago-centric travel sites until it hit me: E-mail the geniuses at Chicagoist, one of my daily read-it-like-it's-a-religion websites. If anyone could give us some great ideas, they were the ones to ask.

On Tuesday, I emailed about 10 people on staff directly, but didn't hear anything back. I was surprised that not one of them responded, even just to tell me that they didn't come up with anything either, or that in the future if I want to get some answers maybe I should email people with a little more lead-time because the world does not revolve around me and I shouldn't expect society to bend at my every little whim.

Here's my very-short-notice email request to Chicagoist:


Dear Chicagoist geniuses:
My sister & I are taking my nephews to 2 special places in Chicago in 2 days-- their last Friday of the summer before school starts. We're hitting Superdawg (the original location: 6363 N Milwaukee Ave, 60646) and then heading to Rainbow Cone (9233 S Western Ave, 60620).

We live in the Naperville area and since both those places are not only kind of a hike in traffic but they're also far apart, we are hoping you have any ideas of things we can do in between the 2 places. I've already done a few internet searches but am having trouble finding anything that would be on the way from Superdawg to Rainbow Cone.... and heading us towards home.

The boys are 12 & 15, so if there are any fun shops/activities you can think of, that would be great. They love quirky places like Uncle Fun. Any help/ideas you have would be MUCH appreciated!


Turns out that I absolutely CAN expect society to bend at my every whim, even at the last minute; and that I was a fool to have doubted the Chicagoist staff for an instant because today they actually posted my email on the site with several suggestions, and some readers also commented, leaving even more ideas. Just one of the many reasons I love my city.

I love you, too, Chicagoist geniuses. Please don't get upset when I take ALL the credit for your last minute hard work & research when my 12 & 15 year old nephews tell us how much fun they had on the last Friday before going back to school. Since I'm the "cool" aunt I have a reputation to protect, especially now that I'm famous.

Click here to see their suggestions.

No comments: