Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, July 5, 2007

I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away!

Did you watch the annual Coney Island Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest on ESPN yesterday? It was absolutely cringe-worthy. I have never been less hungry for a holiday grill-out than after watching this competition.

The "mustard belt" is back in America's hands after the past 6 years of seeing Japan's Takeru Kobayashi take it home with him. This year he supposedly had a major jaw injury but there were no signs of it as he stuffed 63 hot dogs down his gullet, mostly 2 at a time, in 12 minutes.

Throughout the competition, my thoughts were consumed with important things like: "Is there someone at the ready with the heimlich maneuver in case one of the competitors chokes?" and "Is there someone at the ready with a bag in case I yack while watching this?".


Having just completed our "Maybe I shouldn't be so entertained by these movies but damnit all if I'm not!" Kevin Smith classic film fest (see my recently watched flicks in the sidebar), I couldn't help but think of Rosario Dawson's line at the end (:30) of the trailer for Clerks 2:





Click here for the ESPN article and a short video on the 66-hot-dog-eating US winner, Joey Chestnut.

No comments: