Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, November 1, 2008

NaBloPoMo 2008: In it to win it

NaBloPoMo, day 1. Yeah, I'm doing it again this year, even though I have been vacillating about it for the past 11 months (since December). Well, that's not true... maybe just the past 2 months. Last year, I started to refer to it as "YaGoAheadAndBloMe" at the beginning of the 3rd week, so we'll see how long it takes this time around. The randomly-awarded prizes for sticking with it the entire time are great and that's what I'm in it for, to be honest. I didn't get picked last year, but maybe this is my year! You never know. I've decided that the way I can get through it with some of my sanity intact and without worrying about topics is that when I can't think of anything, I'll post a photo I've taken somewhere or a project I've done and write about that.

Some of you know I'm a photographer as well as a graphic designer (and those of you that didn't, do now!), so it should be pretty easy to find things in my portfolio to share. I haven't done more of this in the past because the internet can be a freaky and-not-in-a-good-way place. Here's a conversation I had in the comments of one of my photo posts in July with Rob and Spammon:


Spammon: I'm trying to figure out why you don't post more of these awesome pictures you have taken. You have a great camera eye.

HOJ: I don't post more of my images because there are creeps on the internet. I have a flickr pro account but always worry someone's gonna steal my stuff (not b/c it's "awesome" but because people can be odd, just ask me about the spandex fetishist who took one of my old photos and posted it with his scary collection of gross "self" portraits) and use it for things I don't have control over. Thanks for the props, though!

Spammon: Wow! You ended up in a spandex fetish website? That's why I stick to nature shots. Not me in nature, or trying be 'El Naturale', but trees, animals and other such inanimate objects.

HOJ: Yeah. It was this photo (from this set of photos I uploaded for my friend's birthday), taken when I was 15-- which you can only see a little bit of the bike shorts peeking out under my long shirt.



The guy's other photos (the few I stuck around long enough to see) were of HIM wearing spandex or pantyhose, and they weren't of his face, if you know what I'm sayin'. I'm sure he had other people's innocuous spandex photos in his collection, but I got mine out of there & blocked that guy immediately. Hey, if you want to have a specialized fetish, go for it... but don't involve me without asking. I'm gagging right now, thanks for bringing back that memory.

You'll only have yourself to blame when you tire of me shoving my portfolio down your throat via my RSS feed.

Spammon: Now that's a picture that belongs in a time capsule! I'm wondering if it should have been on a Def Leppard fetish site instead! It's okay though, at least you didn't take a school picture with a pin on button that said "I break for bears" with a picture of the Bernstain Bears on it. That could have landed me on an 'I'm with stupid' fetish website.

HOJ: Now, a Def Lep fetish site I would have had NO problem with! Ok, your "I break for bears" story? Is that true? Methinks some of my gay friends would love to have that pin today. Your childhood wardrobe was incredible according to the photos Linds had up for your bday.

Spammon: Unfortunately yes, this is a true story. I'll dig the up the picture and post it up one of these days.

NerdyRedneck Rob: Well, "fetish guy" was a real dipsh*t! I mean CLEARLY this is the fetish shot! :)



HOJ: Rob! Only you! (Still, hilarious, as ever.)



For the record: I'm actually wearing cut off grey sweatpants in that photo. It was 1989 and was 15, but I don't want any of you thinking I had spandex in every color.

2 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

You're a much braver woman than I. I think I might go over the edge if I did NaBloPoMoFo again this year.

That's pretty dramatic, isn't it? I feel like I should do it because "everyone else is", but if I don't do it, I can feel good about not succumbing to peer pressure and can use that anecdote with the kids sometime.

But good luck with that! I have to say, I'm excited to read new posts from my sistah every day! :)

Spammon said...

Why in the hell do I miss these posts. I have it on google reader. I've been so swamped lately with work my blogging has been suffering.

You know, I am extremely honored that our conversation has made it to your blog. You always have such wonderful dialogue with other people. It's pure sitcom worthy stuff. I mean, not just the convo, but the pics to boot.

And don't worry, 'I break for bears' will be posted soon enough.