Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, February 23, 2009

We don't have to fast forward or rewind cassettes anymore either!

I have a follow-up post for the Vaginatine's party but that will have to wait for the pictures! In the meantime, I love Louis CK and this video of his appearance on Conan is making the internet rounds. Thanks to my friend S for shooting it my way:



Related:
•Growing up, I LOVED a black rotary phone we had so much that as soon as my parents got our first cordless phone, I swiped it. I didn't even have a phone jack in my bedroom but it was mine! I put glittery lip stickers all over it and in our next house I actually put it to use on my desk. I had some kind of weird nervous system malfunction each time there was a zero in the phone number I was dialing. For some reason I would get the dial about halfway around and my finger would go rogue, come out of the zero position and I'd have to hang up and start dialing all over again. Always, always, always.


•I wrote out a check at the grocery store yesterday because I accidentally left my debit card in my jeans pocket at home. The last time I wrote a check out for anything besides my car payment was so long ago I can't even remember, and I felt so annoyed at myself on behalf of the people behind me in line. It only takes a minute longer for the cashier to deal with a check than it does a debit card, but WHOA, it seemed like forever. It was all I could do to not say to the guy behind me, "Sorry, I NEVER DO THIS. I am a good person with a working debit card and I will never leave it in my jeans again!" Awkward.


•When I was living out east, one of my friends was moving to California. I was looking over the map he'd marked up for his upcoming drive from NYC to San Diego. I gestured toward the yellow highlighted path, a long cut directly across the midsection of our entire country and in between laughs this is how our conversation went:

"How long will it take you to get there?"

"Three days."

"I call bullshit! It's only a 6-hour flight and you're saying it'll take you three days? Are you WALKING to California? "

"Jules, that yellow line represents 3,000 miles of road. It's going to take me three days because it's 43 hours of drive-time, and at some point, I will need to sleep."

"3,000 miles? Whoa. Talk to you in 3 days!" (Because neither of us had cell phones back then, and he couldn't call me until he got there)



•Every single time I get on a plane (going back as far as I can remember*), I look out the window about 1/2 way through the flight and think to myself, "What am I doing? I have NO business being this high up in the air. NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER!"


*When I was about 9, I flew by myself to visit some family friends. While in the air, I wrote my sister a letter that said the plane was, "at 40,000 feet and above God." Nobody needs to be up that high! I figure she'll mention something about that in the comments!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That video was awesome...and sooo true!

The best part of the rotary phone was that you could unscrew the mouthpiece and take the speaker out and listen in on the party line's conversation (or my parent's)...I think now they have a fancy gadget on phones called a MUTE button!

Melisa Wells said...

Ha! You're right. I will mention it in the comments.

You were "above God and EVERYBODY." I think I still have that letter. I'll look for it. :)

And I think the same thing when I'm flying. It gives me a really quick panic attack.

Spammon said...

That was poetry to my ears. You know how many times I've wanted to tell those people complaining about waiting on the tarmac for an hour to just walk their ass across the country?

Oh, and Jules, I believe THIS will bring you some closure after all these years.

House of Jules said...

@ImakehairROCK: I never even knew that was possible. I have to call my mom right now & see if they still have that phone! I need a do-over!

@SisMis: Oh yes, because saying we were above God wasn't dramatic enough!

@Spammon: That phone on the other end of your hotlink almost made me tear up! Love it! Unfortunately the price would cut severely into my ice cream maker fund. ;)

Spammon said...

jules - If I had the time and the patience, they sell all the stuff to make it for relatively cheap. I'm also sure I can pick up a rotary phone at a second hand store for next to nothing. I'd like to say that I would make one for your birthday, but let's face it, if I make that, you better believe I'm not going to be parting with it.