Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Going Postal

I love the people who work at my local post office. I really do. I mean, I love them, but I'm not IN LOVE with them. You get what I'm saying. The guys who work at the counter know me by name, which is quite endearing, and also helpful when there's a long line. They know that if I need to mail anything or buy stamps, I'll use the machine in the lobby, so if I'm in line it means I need to pick something up. After seeing me, and in between customers, they dip in the back to get the package, nod in my direction and hand it off to me, without saying anything besides, "Hi Julie! Here you go!"

It's pretty bad ass.

Once I had a huge box to mail and the machine wasn't working. Luckily, it wasn't busy that day so my friend & I were up to the counter in no time. My favorite counter guy greets me by name and we all chat as he's getting the box ready to ship for me. I ask about his grandkids and he asks me about my travels. As my friend & I walk back to my car, I said, "Isn't he the best? THAT'S how I like my postal workers!" and she replied, "Are you kidding? That's how I like my EVERYBODY!"

Such a good point. She's right. That's how I like my everybody, too.


Cut to today. I get one of those orange slips in my mailbox, telling me that there's a box for me at the post office. I see the mailman walking down the sidewalk delivering more mail. His truck is parked near my car, so I decide to wait outside for a few minutes to see if I can just get the box from him before he leaves with it.

On his way back, I see that it's not my regular postal delivery guy. He still greets me with a super-friendly smile & I hold up my orange slip, asking if it'd be ok to just give me the package or if I'd have to wait until the next day to pick it up at the post office.

As he opens the back of his truck to get it for me, this is how the conversation went (with a man I've never met before):


Postman: "You like eating hibachi?"

Me (not knowing where he's going with that question):"Uh, sure. Who DOESN'T like hibachi?"

Postman: "There's this great place downtown. It's called _________ (names the place). Ever been there?"

Me (STILL not knowing where he's going, but not wierded out): "I don't think so. Sounds familiar, though."

Postman: "We went there the other night, had steak & lobster. I got the $10 off birthday discount. See, most people don't even realize at ________( names the place) they'll give you a birthday discount. But they do. I like tellin' people that because we got steak AND lobster and they STILL gave us $10 off. You should have your boyfriend take you there on your birthday. It'll be our little secret."

Me (now understanding where he was going, and am utterly charmed by his enthusiasm in general): "Wow, I totally will. Happy birthday to you!"

Postman (winking): "Oh, it wasn't really my birthday!"



I love my local postal workers. I really, really do...

...and I'm looking forward to finding who my boyfriend will be in October so I can get the $10 birthday discount.


****

No comments: